Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Venison Ribs
 Login/Join

posted
Our archery Whitetail season is in full swing, with gun season starting in a week and a half. One of our favorites, after the daily hunt is an appetizer of barbequed venison ribs. Usually most hunters don�t mess with the ribs unless they are making sausage or burger. This recipe is quite easy to make and the only thing left most of the time are bones, and I believe some of the hunters might be chowing them down too.
First cut the ribs to lengths of about 4 to 6 inches. Then soak in salt water for about one hour then rinse. In a cast iron Dutch oven (or any deep pan) add some olive oil and start browning the ribs, place the ribs in a roasting pan. You can also brown the ribs on a grill. Slice up a couple of onions, green peppers, and garlic. Place these over the top of the ribs. Cover the ribs, onion, peppers and garlic with your favorite barbeque sauce.
Cover with aluminum foil and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for two hours or on your grill for three hours. These ribs are cooked slow and will fall apart. It will also give you time for the afternoon hunt.

Posts: 23 | Location: Peoples Republic of N.Y. | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, venison ribs pose a problem. The fat on them is definitely tallowy, obliging that one eat them while hot (the ribs, not the eater). As soon as the ribs begin to cool, the unavoidable-even small amounts of fat congeal into an unpleasant mouthful. There is a recipe by a fellow named Ed Wuori, that makes a decent dish. I think the recipe was published in several cookbooks. I will look for it.

Also, there is a HUGE venison-dedicated cookbook by a fellow in Miss. I have a copy somewhere....if anyone want the reference, please write....and I will respond.

Alex

aax1@bellsouth.net

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote