Find
Notify
Tools

Chanterelle & Gruyere Tart
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Something I made last evening. Chanterelle & Gruyere tart served with grilled venison loin and green beans from my garden.

Of the ingredients for the tart, these came off my land: Chanterelles, garlic, shallots. Venison was from my 2020 whitetail buck, grilled medium rare with Italian seasoning marinade.

It is getting to the end of chanterelle season in my woods as the local summers are typically very dry here. It was a lengthy forage to find enough in good condition.

Was my first time making the tart and also using phyllo. Phyllo is a difficult critter. Came out of the package crumbly on the ends when I unrolled it. My modifications included the following: I only had dried herbs so I cut the amount by 1/2. The gruyere I had on hand was smoked. I was out of parmesian cheese and used Asiago in place. I also ran the chants in my food processor to chop. I also used standard salted butter. This tart is delicious and I will make it again. I put up several chanterelle duxelles a month ago for winter use.

The Chanterelle & Gruyere tart recipe is here:

Chanterelle & Gruyere Tart

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
So that’s what chanterelles look like. They are everywhere in the woods around my house- it’s rain over 30” so far this summer.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

There are several species of chanterelles, all are edible to my knowledge. What I have in the photo are call 'smooth chanterelles'. They are more common in my woodland than 'common' chanterelles.

Chants have a unique aroma, they are fruity and smell much like apricots when fresh.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ann, for the recipe and the pics! tu2 That meal looks to rival anything found in a fine restaurant! tu2 tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Thanks Ann, for the recipe and the pics! tu2 That meal looks to rival anything found in a fine restaurant! tu2 tu2

She forgot to cook the steak properly!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, I am super impressed. Had chanterelles in the fall in the Northwest. That phyllo crust looks exceptional.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

When can I come to dinner? That looks awesome!

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
She forgot to cook the steak properly!

Saeed: She soaked it overnight in Tabasco and cooked it well done. rotflmo clap rotflmo She just told you that it was some fancy Italian marinade and cooked medium rare to throw you off. rotflmo

quote:
When can I come to dinner? That looks awesome!

Me too!

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Me as well! Kudos to our own "Lady of Shallot"! Smiler

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote