Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heart
 Login/Join

posted
When I hunted moose and elk I would soak the heart overnight in cold salt water. Then I would rinse it and stuff it with a Thanksgiving turkey dressing and bake it for about an hour and slice it against the grain-looked neat and tasted great!

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Deer heart....sliced thin, dusted in flour, a bit of salt and pepper, pan fried very quickly.....good eats.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deer heart cut 1/4 inch thick, sauteed and finished in a bordelaise sauce....mmmm good eats.

Never waste the heart!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saute chopped onion with bay leaf and rosemary, add strips of deer heart saute briefly add red wine at the end !! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gazzel deer hear.simply fry it in oil with black pepper but dont cook it long,too good to b true

ur 3 greatest hunts r ur first ur last and ur next

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clean them salt and pepper and spit them over the fire at deer camp. Goes great with beer

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alpine anne:
When I hunted moose and elk I would soak the heart overnight in cold salt water. Then I would rinse it and stuff it with a Thanksgiving turkey dressing and bake it for about an hour and slice it against the grain-looked neat and tasted great!

We use to eat that at moose camp for our Thanksgiving meal. It was delicious!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
In The book African Hunters Cook Book

There is an intresting recipie for heart there.

Tried it and it is really nice.

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
quote:
clean them salt and pepper and spit them over the fire at deer camp. Goes great with beer

I'll second that! or with a good robust red wine.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
'unroll' it cutting out the webby stuff. Quick pan sear on hot cast iron in a little fat. Roll it up with bacon ( i ccok mine lickety split first) then roll it back up, tie and and throw it in 350 for a bit.. damn good tuff