New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Cooking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Surely I'll get flamed seriously for this. It's OK. flambee is one way to prepare food.

I've waded through about ten pages of this category. Lotsa "potage" and stews, fried, and cassserole.

E.g. maple syrup is NOT a marinade for BBQ, nor is Coca-Cola, root beer. Squirrel is a rodent.

I just poached a Chinook filet in a court bouillon with a little balsamic vinegar, fines herbes, trinity veggies, tomato.

You could do this with rabbit too, only I'd probably go with a mir poix rather than the trinity.

Seems like if we're going to humanely kill these animals, we should humanely prepare them.

-- OK, flame away.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. The most flavorful part of a deer is the shanks. Usually thrown out or ground up when braised in onion/carrot/celery/tomato they are very flavorful . Similar treatment is great for goose also. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no finer way to prepare salmon than to poach it. You could also make a reductin with the court bullion and use it for the base of a sauce. Poached salmon and bearnaise sauce-yumm.

I'd never flame a gourmand

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Real cooking,

How 'bout a good gumbo, maybe a sauce picaunte, don't count out a good courtbullion or an etouffee and then a good old crawfish or shrimp boil if everything else fails. cheers

Rooster

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rooster:
Real cooking,

How 'bout a good gumbo, maybe a sauce picaunte, don't count out a good courtbullion or an etouffee and then a good old crawfish or shrimp boil if everything else fails. cheers

Boudreau and Thibadeau down in the Parish, sittin' round the pot-bellied stove with the Constable:

"Well," says the Constable, "I got some good news, and I got some bad news.

Bad news is we found Ol' Dame Flambeaux face down in the water, just un peu a travers the levee. Tout a fait morte! Ouuuuuuuuuu eyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeee.

Good news is . . . she was covered with a whole big ol' pot full of them there blue shell crabs!

Laisser les bons temps rouler!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really good news is....They'r going to pull her up again tomorrow.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Poaching is for eggs and unlicensed hunters; grilling is for salmon..... troll

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did someone mention a shrimp boil? This past weekend at the ranch, we had a "frogmoor stew" which is shrimp, sausage, small red potatoes, corn on the cob, and whatever else you like boiled in a good shrimp/crab boil seasoning and poured on the table on brown paper for everyone to dig into. We didn't pour it on the table since it was cool enough that the food would have been cold by the time we got to the second plate.

Unfortunately for the rest of the gang, I had to eat the remainder of the cold shrimp before I left camp on Sunday. Dang the bad luck!!

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
And now there is a woman who is suing Kraft Foods because the Guacamole didn't have enough avocado [only a very small percentage ] !!! But the ingredients were all listed on the label ! Roll Eyes Make it yourself !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dustoffer, had made a stew in deer camp in Va a couple of weeks ago. Just forget the crab boil. With good smoked sausage and chopped onions and pepper the flavor is great in fact better. I don't do the potatoes just filler. I was sorry there were no shrimps left for lunch the next day. Mad

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote