THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    This business of sausages and smokers ...

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This business of sausages and smokers ...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
... got me thinking about ham, now that I live in feral swine jihad country.
This looks like a great recipe for a simple "city ham," but a properly prepped and aged country ham seems like a goal worth chasing at some point.
Who does their own city and country hams here?

https://www.homesicktexan.com/how-to-cure-ham/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I just saw that locally some agency is offering a country ham session for something like $50. Take your ham home and hang it in the barn for a year (?) kinda thing. I assume they are well salted.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
We put up country ham every year, also smoke and cure a few dozen from butcher hogs for our customers, but we have those done at the processor.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good for you, Macs. How long do you let the country hams cure?

Ann, here is a back and forth on Bradley vs. Masterbuilt from my Oregon fishing forum:

https://www.ifish.net/threads/...masterbuilt.1685688/

– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Bill. I will check that out!

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, I just signed up here. Omigosh what a resource.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like an interesting site.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, with all your tools, materials and knowhow, have you ever thought about building a smoker yourself?

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bill. I certainly did. I used an old Norge refer, those old ones were porcelain lined. I made rack holders on either side out of rough cut cedar w/ cutouts to drop the re-bar lengths into. At the bottom I built a stainless steel pan that I could put my wood chips + shavings in, that I had soaked overnight in water. Right above the tray, I installed a pipe w/ elbow to be right over the coals that went through the door. On the outside of the door I made a piece of copper tube that fit the pipe I.D. + made 2 slices on the bottom of it making a "V" one could slide it out or in to give it more or less air intake. Obviously a dampered stack out the top, + to get a perfect seal, take a tube of silicone + after cleaning the door + frame, make a large bead on ONE SIDE ONLY. Cover it with wax paper + seal the door for 24 hrs. It will make a perfect custom fit. I have used the same principle on making valve cover gaskets. Finally, I put one of those A.C. pocket thermometers in the door to read + regulate the temp with the copper sleeve I described above.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, I guess it doesn't need to be said ,but every piece of plastic has to come out, old shelf supports, etc. + the old rubber gasket. You are making a new one anyway, right? Any hole left in the skin can be caulked in with the same silicone. It will withstand 600 degrees, + if you get that high in your smoker, you have other problems.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, most of those old refers still have the old porcelain veg, crisper drawer + that makes a good coal pan after you fill it halfway with sand.