Find
Notify
Tools

Never have cooked with pork knuckle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
But might just have to start. I wish Tas was still here. He probably knows this recipe by heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-NZ7QW0B9c&t=52s

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
i wish he was too. All through my life I have enjoyed chilerlins at black BBQ shacks, always with a healthy dose of red pepper sauce. When I was a kid my mother would turn her face away. No, Bill, I haven't cooked w/ pig nuckle but my 1st thought when I saw your post was hearing Bessie Smith's song, "I want a pig foot + a bottle of beer." tu2

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, here is Bessie's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbQEapPrjGM

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million Bill. I will send you shortly a utube video of my wife who was an actress + singer in the 70s + early 80s doing her onstage performance of a circa Bessie Smith song. She has a ton of them while doing gigs with the "Blandscrew Sisters" (obvious parody) to working with 'Ro=Tel + The Hot Tomatoes' + being a regular at Estheres Follies on 6th st. downtown. Once you see this one you can click on others if interested. Be well, Randy.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a "pork knuckle" in Berlin. Was awesome. A combination of fried pork rinds and pork. One trotter was more than you could eat. But awesome.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Since we're on pigs and knuckles, I used to love eating Hormel's pickled pigs feet when I was a youngster. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, I have fond remembrances of Nuremberg + the wooded carts selling wursts + the stone jars of 'senf' on the old Roman cobblestone streets I seem to treasure these memories more as I come to realize that so many of the next generation will not experience them (or maybe not want to; which is worse)

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Since we're on pigs and knuckles, I used to love eating Hormel's pickled pigs feet when I was a youngster. Big Grin

I forgot about those. They were so good.
Thanks

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they were and I believe that they still sell them. At least, the last time that I checked on them at Walmart they did, but that was a few years ago. Now, I am going to have to check them out again! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That falls in line with the jars at the checkout aisle at the old little grocery stores of pigs feet in brine + the FAMOUS Nickle pickle, which is not a nickel anymore. I still do enjoy a large Kosher Dill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy: Yep! tu2

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
There used to be a big barrel of kosher dill pickles by the counter. I guess those times are over.
Man they were good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed; I remember very well giving my nickle for one of those grand pickles. I still like Kosher Dills but somehow they are not the same as in my memory. My memory pickles taste better. There is a philosophy lesson there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NormanC, WTF is a "Chilerin"?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, chitlerelins, by several spellings are pig intestines, cleaned out (hopefully) before being diced + boiled down to be enjoyed with tabasco or comparable hot sauce.These are a staple in BBQ joints in the ( other side of the tracks) black communities. I LOVE to eat in that neighborhood, they have the best BBQ + once they don't see you as a white man they treat you just fine (almost equal) + that's a boone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ed, chitlerelins, by several spellings are pig intestines, cleaned out (hopefully) before being diced + boiled down to be enjoyed with tabasco or comparable hot sauce.These are a staple in BBQ joints in the ( other side of the tracks) black communities. I LOVE to eat in that neighborhood, they have the best BBQ + once they don't see you as a white man they treat you just fine (almost equal) + that's a boone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, something going on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I was kind of curious after all of doceds hateful speech that all of a sudden he asks me a question instead of cursing me, so I sent a civil reply, thinking he's over it (whatever 'it' might be) + now my AR is going kinda hinky. Might be all coincidence of course + I hope it is, But people who act this way on a regular basis concern me in the realms of sanity.

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Whoa! NC you drinkin again???
Smiler