Find
Notify
Tools

New Orleans style Hot Sausage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well,
It's that time of year again. Cleaning out what is left of the unprocessed meat in the freezer.

There are a lot of recipes around for all kinds of sausage. What I call New Orleans style hot sausage (if you have ever had Pattons hot sausage you know the style) is not so easy to find.

I have worked on this for a while now and have it the way I like (Remember) it.

6 lbs Deer Meat
6 lbs Pork
1 Cup Cayenne Pepper
2 1/4 Cups Paprika (Style is your choice)
1/2 Cup Salt
1/2 Cup Onion Powder
1/2 Cup Garlic Powder
2 TBSP Chile Powder
2 Cups Cooking Oil
Grind and mix your pork and choice of game together.
Mix all your dry seasonings together.
Add 1/4 of seasoning to meat and mix. Add 1/4 Oil and mix.
Repeat this process until all seasoning and oil mixed well. Put in fridge for several hours before packaging or stuffing into casing.

Please note this recipe is Hot but not insane.

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
What next?

Curing, hot smoke, cold smoke, water bath or combination of any?

No nitrites? No pink salt?

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should use sage and the red pepper you shake onto a pizza. A little mustard powder wouldn't hurt.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
What exactly do you mean by 6# of Pork? Are you speaking of pork shoulder, aka SWIFT double packs from Costco?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Anybody? I am from different continent, so don't know your local specialties. That's why I'm asking.

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
What exactly do you mean by 6# of Pork? Are you speaking of pork shoulder, aka SWIFT double packs from Costco?

I like to find an on sale Boston Butt. Double packs when i can find them. Something with a little fat in it as the Game meat tends be lean.

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Anybody? I am from different continent, so don't know your local specialties. That's why I'm asking.

Jiri

This basic recipe works for me. you can cut the seasonings a do a pound at a time till you get what you prefer. I'm not really a Pink salt guy.