New
Find
Notify
Tools

tag soup
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I developed this recipe last night, while I was freezing in my treestand. I was so sure I wouldn't fill the tag and I wanted to make some tag soup. I've hear of horn soup and track soup....here's my version.

Put 2 tablespoons of honey into a coffee cup and microwave about 20 seconds. Fill about 3/4 from the top with boiling water and swish the tag around in it for awhile-like you're steeping tea. The longer you steep the tag the more tag flavour it will have, let your tasts be your guide. Add a tablespoon of butter and about 3-4 ounces of scotch, rye, Irish whisky etc.

Enjoy your soup while thinking about all the fun and adventures you had hunting this year. Start to plan next years hunting but don't talk to the wife about next year-it's too dangerous.

enjoy

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a Marco Polo hunt in Kyrgyzstan, where I enjoyed excellent tea. They make a small pot of very strong tea, then pour a small amount into a cup and add hot water. If you save up a few tags, you could use this process. They have a neat little strainer that fits on the spout to catch the leaf particles.
Bone Apetite.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I just returned from a Marco Polo hunt in Kyrgyzstan, where I enjoyed excellent tea. They make a small pot of very strong tea, then pour a small amount into a cup and add hot water. If you save up a few tags, you could use this process. They have a neat little strainer that fits on the spout to catch the leaf particles.
Bone Apetite.

Brice,
I seem to be chiming in on a lot of your posts of late but I made several boar hunts in Turkey years ago and the Turks always had a sort of tea ceremony (?) after the hunt, serving tea much as you mention, very strong, very hot and very sweet, drank from a small glass. I have never been able to find any tea that tastes exactly like what they drank and still hope to someday be able to find and enjoy the same again. Oh, they also had a sweet, sticky cake made with crushed almonds that was wondeful. Anyone want to go back and hunt boar in Turkey?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Trapper,
In Kyrgyzstan, the camp staff celebrated with the traditional Russian drink, vodka, and lots of it. I don't know how they can hold as much as they do and function.

I hope to return for the ibex I didn't get, and was thinking about staying over in Turkey for awhile. Tell me a little about boar hunting there if you have a minute.
Brice

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Hi Trapper,
In Kyrgyzstan, the camp staff celebrated with the traditional Russian drink, vodka, and lots of it. I don't know how they can hold as much as they do and function.

I hope to return for the ibex I didn't get, and was thinking about staying over in Turkey for awhile. Tell me a little about boar hunting there if you have a minute.
Brice

Brice;
My info would be ancient history as I went boar hunting in Turkey many years ago. First time I was training and training with the Turkish military and went as their guest out of Izmir. Next two times was with a commercial venture out of Istanbul. I have no idea of any of the details after all this time but let me say the Turks were among the most gracious hosts I have evr hunted with and I throughly enjoyed all the trips. Also, I might add, they are good hunters in every sense of the word. To them, the pigs are vermin and they welcome getting rid of them. IIRC, at the time, they were given a bounty of five shotgun shells for the tail of each pig killed - guess what the first 'trophy' taken from each pig was?
On the last trip, we had a Marine from the ship take a running sow and three piglets of about 50 pounds each, all with an M1, all running flat out. I thought this was pretty good shooting. We dressed them out, carried them back to the ship and then had a big party with Bar-b-que when we returned to France, our home port.
So, if I were you and had the opportunity I would look for an outfitter where ever you are near in Turkey and go - you'll have a good time if things are at all as they were when I was there.
And be sure and post us up with details of your trip.
Best regards,
trapperP

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote