New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horse
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have some good recipes for horse meat?

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Mate,

I found these. Horseflesh is not real popular here in the States but I'd eat it. The recipe for Horse Sauerbraten sounds really good.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/chance88.html

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually you cook it just like you would any other meat. We generally trim off the fat.

One of our favorites it cooked like a chicken fried steak.

It is our primary source of meat. We also make salami, sausage, and jerky out of it.

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Horse is excellent. Treat it like beef. From what I've seen, it tends to be less marbled than beef. Not necessarily less fat, but less marbling.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd treat it like zebra. Trim off all the fat and then my favourite is to cook it in puff pastry like a beef (or zebra) wellington.

A good variation is to put a layer of pate on top of the meat before you put the pastry over it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a lot like Pronghorn, dark, rich, almost sweet meat. I'd use those receipes if it were me.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote