Find
Notify
Tools

Cretons
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
With the winter weather and a lot of ground pork in the freezer I decided to explore some French Canadian heritage and try 'cretons'. Looking like just fried ground meat an onions, it's the seasonings that make it different.

Now my ground pork is not store boughten and thus 'real' ground pork with normal fat content and also raised outdoors in a natural life. So it has full flavor and very suitable for a traditional recipe. There are many variations on the spices used and I chose to go with what I listed.

Cretons is normally a cold spread and served on toasted bread at breakfast time. I allowed my batch to drain some to reduce the lard after cooking. I tried it on toasted sourdough while still warm. Very nice.

Ingredients

1 pound ground pork
1 cup milk
1 onion, chopped
Chopped garlic
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch ground allspice
1 pinch ground cinnamon
¼ cup dry bread crumbs- I used panko

Directions

Place the ground pork, onion and garlic into a large saucepan. Season with salt, pepper and cook down. Add the milk, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Cook over medium heat for about 1 hour, then stir in the bread crumbs. Cook for 10 more minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste. Transfer to a small container and keep refrigerated.

*** I did take some photos but after running an update to Firefox I can no longer get into my postimages account. So, until I get that sorted just picture a skillet with cooked ground meat that smells really good. Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, until I get that sorted just picture a skillet with cooked ground meat that smells really good.

yuck

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, you are becoming the new Taz. Cool
Had not heard of this before.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ann, you are becoming the new Taz. Cool
Had not heard of this before.

LOL, me either! I was looking for something to do with ground pork that was a bit different than pork pie. This stuff is pretty good!

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That looks pretty yummy all right, Ann. I have a couple of those Portmeirion Botanic Garden plates, too.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I love this portmeirion stuff. Spendy though! I have some small bowls with some lovely game fish prints inside of them. Would love to find more of them.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yes, we had some with perch and butterflies, and my ex took them ... Frowner

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Yes, we had some with perch and butterflies, and my ex took them ... Frowner

Oh, damn. Check ebay?

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, when I got divorced years ago my ex took a photo album of mine that I has as a kid that was full of Hollywood actors autographed pictures that I wrote them + collected; too many to name but fortunatelyI still have my signed pic to me from Stan Laurel. For some reason I had moved it out of the album.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wow, Stan Laurel! Cool
I have photos autographed by John Wayne (not for me) and Clint Walker/Cheyenne Bodie (for me), but I treasure the Medford Oregon restaurant menu autographed to me by Jack Elam.
Ann, just took a peek at eBay for Portmierion. Quite a lot of "our stuff" is available, but pieces from the "Complete Angler" collection much less so.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yep, Stan Laurel, in real ink + to me personally. All those others that were stolen were mostly western stars as that was the vast amount of our actors in that time; even a Lee Van Cleef (signed to me in ink), but she got my Johnny Weismuller (who I met + got in person) Doesn't bear thinking about. I'm glad to be shed of someone who finds it accepible behavior to steal a child's memories.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, Stan Laurel, in real ink + to me personally. All those others that were stolen were mostly western stars as that was the vast amount of our actors in that time; even a Lee Van Cleef (signed to me in ink), but she got my Johnny Weismuller (who I met + got in person) Doesn't bear thinking about. I'm glad to be shed of someone who finds it accepible behavior to steal a child's memories.

That's pure evil on her part, Randy!! thumbdown thumbdown thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, all these replies and I'm thinking y'all tried this recipe out and it turns out you didn't!

~Ann