New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st shot at baby backs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
About a week ago my Son cooked a couple racks with our new Char Broil smoker and the kid over did the rub, he used three kinds over mustard and to me it was too much of a good thing.
Sure love the smoker, we'll adjust the recipe next time.
Tas, how do you like your new smoker?

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the same one that I've been using since 2009 or 10 or so, and love it. It's a 40-inch offset. The first one was from Brinkmann, but a tree fell on it (long story). My wife bought me one to replace it that is identical, except it is now made by CharBroil. Looks like this:

Awesome unit, right out of the box. Even better with a few cheap and easy mods. Even better than that with a few "advanced" mods. If you want to amke your smoker really whistle Dixie, let me know and I can get you fixed up....

As for the mustard and rub - I gotta agree with your thoughts on how much to use. The mustard is kinda like BrylCreem - jsut a little dab will do - brush on a light film of plain, ol' yellow mustard, then dust on a modest amount of rub. This is especially true for ribs, since they are thin and do shrink a little as they cook, concentrating the flavours. For a big ol' pork shoulder roast, my theory is to go ahead and pile on the rub a little thicker, but still - just plain, ol' yellow mustard does the trick ebtter than any other that I've tried. For beef ribs, brisket etc., Dijon works alright, but yellow will never steer you wrong.... thumb

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote