THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Boiled Beef Tongue ... or deer or moose or caribou

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boiled Beef Tongue ... or deer or moose or caribou
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AHAH!! ...my Mother's recipe ....and she knew what she was doing.
Immerse tongue in about 1/2 gallon water to which was added 1/2 cup cider vinegar, a TBS pickling spice, and a small onion. Simmer for several hours, covered. When tender, a knife will easily pass through the flesh. Remove and rinse. While still hot, peel off the skin; if you wait until cool, peeling will be difficult. After peeling, allow to cool to room temperature, then refridgerate. When chilled, the tongue will be firm, and slice well. Thinly slice and make sandwiches on rye bread; a hot mustard (NOT jalapeno ....but with a naturally hot mustard powder prep.) adds character. Trust me!! It's great!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup ! My venison tongue always went to my father who did the exact same thing ! "Got a deer ? Save me the tongue "

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Sounds exactly how my Mom fixed it. (She's from Cedar Key so it must be a Florida recipe.). It was particularly tasty with a little mustard on Ritz crackers.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! That is a classic German/west Eu recipe.My mother + my Tante cooked this + I ate it as a child.And yes the senfe is not the same as the jalepeno.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Thank you....will try it, sounds close to my Mom's

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote