THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    October is chicken of the trees month!

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October is chicken of the trees month!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Meat pie is one of the best and a great autumn meal for your limb chickens! They are fat on nuts and free for the taking.

So other ingredients are ground pork, wild mushrooms and red onion from my land. I buy a hog from a neighbor. Crock pot/slow cook the rats and pull the meat when tender. Fry a pound of ground pork.

One thing I have learned is reserve the broth from cooking down your squills AND the fat from your ground pork. Dry meat pie is nasty. This time I took half of my meat mix and ran it through to food processor after it was cooked. This helped chop it down finer and mixed it nicely. Mix back in your broths and seasonings in a large bowl. Prepare your crusts and fill/ top your pie. Egg wash the top crust. 20 mins at 450F pull pie out and cover the edges with foil or a silicone pie edger. Then 45 min at 350F

I had enough meat for a second pie and bagged/froze it for another day. Some gravy is nice on these meat pie slices too. I use brown gravy mix (the kind in packets). Made for a wonderful dinner last night and lots of meat pie slices for lunches now.

Yeah, that's pumpkin pie too. Why not? wave

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have to hand it to you Ann.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What time is dinner?

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Not sure why America is not more of a meat pie nation. The British, Australians, Kiwis and Africans eat the hell out of them.

My favorite are the burgandy beef and the Guiness ones.

We were enlisted poor folks when we lived in Australia 2010-2013. A box of pies was $5 for 4 single serve pies and fed the two of us for a couple dinners.

We had to work through the entire offering and try a few brands before we figure out which ones we both liked. Cheri like a chicken and leak ones the best.

The farmers market in Canberra had fresh pies, and they were the best ones I have ever eaten.

A lot goes into making a meat pie. Congrats Anne on a great looking dinner.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meat pies were for sure much more popular in America in the past especially when there was an influx of European immigrants. Nowadays, few cook, they just go get a garbage burger from McD's.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I am a very big fan of meat pies. Love them! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed, I do too. Although I must admit that before my time, there was a little problem in old London town by a chap named Sweeny Todd that kinda put folks off their food. My youngest son dearly loves 'Sheppard's pie', + frankly, it gives you everything in the way of meat + vegetables, + tastes damned fine to boot.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
January is also a good month for squirrel pie. Had one in the freezer from last year, so first I floured and browned the pieces, then they went into the little crock pot with a bit of water. After a couple hours on high I took it out and separated the meat from the bones. Then I chopped a carrot, some celery, a potato, and an onion. The veggies got warmed in butter, then doused with flour. Then stirred with broth until a gravy formed. Then the meat went back in and it all got encased in a store-bought, rollout crust. (Found out later I forgot to add the gravy from the crockpot. My bad.)
We, the wife and I, got two meals out of that pie.
I say January is a good time for meat pies because squirrel season goes to mid-February around here, and all the deer hunters, campers, hikers and dope smokers are inside watching the computer.
Now is a good time to get out and kill something and make a delicious meal out of it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds good, Max!

~Ann