New
Find
Notify
Tools

onion tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i saw this on tv - when cutting onions that are naking your eyes burn - put a glass of water next to it and the stuff will absorb the chemical
i was cutting up a bunch og onions today that made my eyes really run - i remembered the glass of water thing and tried it - it actually works

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about onions, a friend made up some when he was baking potatoes. He wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven for the same time as the potatoes. When done he unwrapped them, cut an X in them and put a chunk of butter. He topped it with paprika for a little color and extra flavor.

Really Good!

Hip

Posts: 1833 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'll have to try both of these tricks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Baked a sweet onion in foil last night next to a couple of spuds. Next time -- and there will be a next time -- I think I will cut the X, add butter, salt, pepper and some other spices before baking.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16418 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We bake onions with tomatoes and have with kebabs.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67028 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
That may be the way that he did it. It was probably 50+ yrs. ago. Just know that it was (here it comes Saeed) damn good!

Hip

Posts: 1833 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Hipshoot: I baked another one adding butter and herbs first. Better, but still room for improvement. Maybe something from India -- garam masala ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Tante Annalessia, who was the cook in the Gasthouse Sonnen in my youth + was in sole control of the kitchen, claimed 2 things. Breathe through your mouth +/or put a piece of bread in your mouth. I've tried both + doesn't work too well. One thing that I will pass along as true; if you are cutting onions, DON'T start laughing. It will bring on tears that you will not be able to stop (or see anything, either).

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote