Find
Notify
Tools

Pickled Sausage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
I had some stick type sausage that had been pickled, it was commercialy made and it was great, does anyone have any ideas for a recipie?

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Something to try are fake cabbage rolls. Use venison sausage, leaves from a sour cabbage ( or sauerkraut) and extra spicey clamato juice. This can be done up in a home canner and makes a great hunting meal eaten cold.

Be sure to rinse the sour cabbage well as it is too salty and sour other wise

pssst America, your vulnerability is showing.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Murph, that's how I make my cabbage rolls (from sour cabbage leaves), but I've never tried them pickled. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, few people seem to know about sour cabbage leaves. My granny was German, and that's how she made hers. Made her own "sour heads" too.

Hard to find them, even here, where I'm in the heart of German immigrant country. Only one guy makes them, and supplies a few stores with them.

Anyone I've ever made them for has raved about them. They're a "must have" for moose camp every year.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
I'am not sure that it will work on sausage,but if you take cold pack pickle brine like in Claussen pickles and bring it to a boil you can pickle veggies pretty good.IF I was'nt down to my last two links of venison sausage I would give it a try.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote