Find
Notify
Tools

Some chili mac
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted

So I didn't have any canned pintos, which is how I had wanted to make this and instead made some mac and mixed it into the tomatoes, onions and meat. This came out better than I expected.

The burnt offering on top is a fire roasted jalapeno I grew and roasted a few months ago. Once you roast them they freeze up nice. I roast both green and red ones and as many as I can. The flavor is outstanding.

The meat is ram burger from my flock. Onions also from my garden.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
YUM! tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That does look good, + a semi-easy prep meal.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, I will try roasting jalapeños next time I grow some. I usually just dry my Hatch Big Jims and poblanos.
Hadn't heard of roasting jalapeños but I don't know why not. Do you peel them when you pull them out of the freezer like you would a Hatch?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, all of your pepper varieties would be good roasted. No, I don't peel jalapenos but I do remove the seeds. These have all been sliced in half lengthwise and gutted. You do not have to do that, you can leave them whole. Have not noticed and issues say with a tough skin. Not sure on other varieties as I lean towards mild peppers.

I'm hoping for a better upcoming growing season. My jalapenos and anahiems (same as hatch) did not do well in our excessive heat and they got buggy. Aphids were insane.

Just put your fresh peppers on the grill when you are grilling some meat. I do normally cut them up when I use them for the most part.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your dealing Ann, the jalapeño on top would really give that some great flavor!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to be able to eat those jalapeños like candy + still love the taste, but my stomach can't deal with it any more. As Guy Clark said, It all goes down so easy, but the next day is hell. I have stopped using jalapeños in my tuna noodle casserole also as my daughter-in-law, who is from Mexico City, thinks it is too hot.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, I only grow mild jalapenos. There is no heat to them at all.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you still get the same flavor, then that's the way to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
If you still get the same flavor, then that's the way to go.

I promise you there are some real delicious varieties out there. No heat. One of them is called "Fooled You". Yum.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chili Mac is comfort food at my house. Grew up eating it, first thing I taught my wife to cook Cool

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, I like my tuna noodle casserole, but then , I did NOT teach Linda to cook as she is not good at it, in all honesty in the 13 years we have been together, she has cooked 2 times; both eggs that typewrite was still runny. No thank you. I just prefer to cook, that way I know what I'm getting. After raising 3 boys, I became quite the chef of 'meat + potato fame' Hey, the kids loved it + that's all that really matters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
well, I like my tuna noodle casserole, but then , I did NOT teach Linda to cook as she is not good at it, in all honesty in the 13 years we have been together, she has cooked 2 times; both eggs that typewrite was still runny. No thank you. I just prefer to cook, that way I know what I'm getting. After raising 3 boys, I became quite the chef of 'meat + potato fame' Hey, the kids loved it + that's all that really matters.

I still don't understand people who cannot cook! I know a few too.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeckyl and Hyde!

My first wife was a DINE-O-MITE cook and my current wife will eventually KILL ME! killpc

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote