THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Anyone have a MOIST cornbread recipe?

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a MOIST cornbread recipe?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Any of your guys or gals have a recipe for moist cornbread? If so, please pass it along.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll occasionally run across a cornbread recipe that uses hot water--try it. I know when I make cornmeal pancakes the recipe uses hot water and they are a lot moister. The hot water gelitanizes the starch particles allowing them to absorb water and swell up. I think the traditionalists will howl at this idea for cornbread though!!! I just eat it dry with a little corn syrup on it.....yum!

the chef

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Two tricks that I have used. #1) bacon grease in the pan and batter. #2) can of creamed corn stired into batter.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An ex girlie friend made hers with sour cream and did not bake it to death. Was really good.

one of us
Picture of Lynn D
posted Hide Post
As for cornbread of sorts, well I make Justin Wilson's Hush Puppies. They are beyond a doubt moist and delicious ! Wink

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
Ground cayenne pepper
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup green onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons hot bacon drippings or oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
Deep fat for frying

Combine all dry ingredients. Add eggs, buttermilk, onion, and oil or bacon drippings. Mix well. Drop in deep hot fat by spoonsful and brown on all sides.

Lynn D

Posts: 1187 | Location: Quebec, Canada | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sour cream corn bread -1 1/2 cups corn meal, 1 tsp soda, 1 tsp salt,1 TBs honey, 1 cup sour cream 1 egg beaten, 1/2 cup milk 2 Tbs melted butter...This one is great. If you don't want it so rich you can make a straight substitution with yoghurt. ..Sour cream,yoghurt or buttermilk really make for a great cornbread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cornbread is one of the first things you learn to cok arocan make corn bread you can at least eat.
the secreat to moist corn bread is to keep your bater moist. It hould be about the consistancy of slack morter, so that it pours smoothly,
the way I do it is to mix the batter with out the oil, grease, lard or bacon drippings. I set the mix aside and but enough :grease: or what ever in an iron skillet and put in a fast (hot ) (425?) over until the skillet and grease is HOT. carefuly pour the grease into the bater, mix and return to skillet and bake fast oven until brown on top and pulled away fron the sides. DO NOT OVER COOK.
N.B. I ALWAYS put a litle red pepper in mycornbread to kill the sweet. DO NOT PUT SUGAR INTO CORNBREAD. Thast makes something else, but not cornbread.
That, sugar in the corn bread and the grits test are how we expose yankies, carpetbaggers and northern operatives here in Alabama.
Don't founder yourself.
Judge SHarpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

I gotta tell ya I'm from Florida and I grew up with orange blossom honey on the table and I used it on grits, pone and frosted corn flakes and some times on eggs and biscuits too....to be honest I used to dip sausage in it too....what do you suppose it means?

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
1/2 cup-- sifted flour
1 1/2 cup-- corn meal
1 teaspoon- salt
1 teaspoon--sugar
3 teaspoons-baking powder
3-----------eggs, well beaten
1 cup-------milk
1/4 cup-----cream
1/3 cup---- melted butter
Sift dry stuff together in to a nonmetal bowl.
add eggs and milk stir with wooden spoon.Add cream add the butter last. Pour into large HOT iron skillet. 400deg 15-19 min.
Or cut butter in half and put 2-3 strips Bacon in a cold skillet. Place in oven,and now preheat
oven to 400. Bacon will be done about same time as oven reaches 400. Stir 2-3 tablespoons drippins in to cornbread, leave enough in pan
to cover bottom.
James Beards Great American Cookery.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
absolutely use sour cream or buttermilk or yoghurt. I, too, had a moist-cornbread-baking girlfriend .....and she used buttermilk (in the cornbread!!)

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lowrider:
You use honey ON the cornbread, not in it.
I use Golden Eagle, Yellow Lable and Alaga, or used to before my medical nazi told me to cut back onthe sugar. I stil use a lot of Honey. I spent part of my mis-spent youth thending bee hives and can testify to the diferance in the tsst of wild honey vs. domestic honey, and also the temperment of the wild bees vs. domestic bees and their stinging ability. Wild bees can go through three pairs of blue jeans with no problem. Maybe its just north Alabama bees but, tame bees are too easy. No adventure. Kind of like the diferance in Cape Buffalo and a Jersey Cow.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never put anything ON cornbread .I find a little sweet[1 Tbsp] IN to be better. Honey also [not sugar] helps keep cornbread and other baked goods moist.

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
So far I haven't seen anyone throw in a couple of fresh chopped jalapeños. It helps a little to keep it moist and adds a bit of a "zing" as well.

I'll use some in Hush Puppys, too. Wink

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For something more like a corn cake, try -

1 box of Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1 can creamed corn

Mix all together and pour into a greased cake pan. bake at 350 until lightly browned on top - do not overcook!

This makes a soft, sweet corn cake that is delicious!

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Type in custard cornbread on google,,It's the bomb!!!!!!!!!!!Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
try this:

self-rising cornmeal
an egg
enough buttermilk to make a somewhat thin batter (like pancake batter)
a little hot grease from the hot cast iron skillet
optional- small can of cream style corn
*pour batter into hot skillet and place in a very hot oven (about 400 to 450 degrees) let cook til the top looks dry and then broil for a min until the top is nice and brown. flip onto a plate. perfection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the moistest cornbread you have ever eaten, try adding some chopped up cooked okra to the batter. Not only does it add a unique flavor, it makes the cornbread very moist without being soggy.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the south where cornbread was more common than whitebread. Buttermilk is the key to making cornbread moist. I don't use a true measure because I learned how to do it the way my mother did.

Try this. First put your black iron skillet in the cold oven and turn it on to 350.

i use a serving spoon to measure the cornmeal. Use 4 serving spoonfuls and literally heap as much as it will hold on each spoonful. It should be piled high enough that some is running off.

Next mix 4 spoons of self rising flour, but only piled about half as high.

next, put a spoon full of mayonaise about the size of a turkey egg or a little bigger in a bowl with one beaten egg.

add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt depending on your taste.

Mix everything together and add buttermilk until it is about the consistancy of cake batter. This is very important. Regular milk will leave it dry and crumbly.

take your skillet out of your oven and add 1-2 tablespoons of butter and let it melt. Pour your mix in and cook for about 25-30 minutes.

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make at least one batch of cornbread a week and just use the recipe off the Quaker box. I like a little butter and Canadian maple syrup on it. It's pretty moist. I cook mine in a #8 Griswold skillet and use bacon grease and Butter Pam to coat. I did it tonight.

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any cast Iron skillet cornbread cookers here?

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i'm getting ready for the memorial feed...brisket, pork rib, home-made sausage, potato salad, coleslaw, pecan pies, ranch-style beans.... and cornbread....i use white cornmeal, 2-3 cups, a large can of cream style corn, a chopped up onion about the size of a softball, about a cup of grated cheddar cheese, a couple of chopped jalepenos, 3 tablespoons of baking powder, 2 eggs, a couple teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and oil... either bacon grease or crisco....bake in a cast iron skillet in a fast oven 450... till it pulls away from the edge....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For moist and Goood, try spoonbread instead.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an iron skillet and it hasn't been washed in over 40 yrs,after you get one seasoned out you don't wash or get water anywhere near it,just wipe out after each use with a towel or paper towel.After it is seasoned which takes years it will be as slick as a babys butt.
I don't want any sugar or eggs in my cornbread.So this is the way I make mine used to only use bacon greese but because of health problems I use crisco oil instead.
I take and put 3 heaping table spoons of cornmeal mix in a bowl and add 2 heaping spoonfulls of self rising flower to that( the spoonfulls are really full,as much as I can get on there)pour in buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of oil,mix up to not so runny mixture,turn oven on at highest temp(500) put skillet on stove eye set at 3,as the oven heats the pan is getting warm,when oven light goes off turn eye under skillet to 6 now while skillet is getting hot mix up batter again useing a little more buttermilk untill runny,skillet should be hot enough to hear the batter sizzle when you pour it in, place in oven and bake untill top is golden brown.It is best when hot but it is good and moist when cold also.I can eat a whole cake by myself.
If going to hunt camp a few days I make a couple cakes wrap in tin foil place in ice chest,when I get there I put on a crock pot of pinto's cook untill next nights supper,heat cornbread in a toster oven in camper,chop up onion,open a jar of chow-chow,fry some porkchops,ice tea eat too much,take a couple tums and go to bed.Would take the skillet and make it fresh at camp but skillet want fit in oven,have made it in a smaller tin foil pan in toster oven but not as good as with the skillet.Sometimes I will make a cake of cornbread at home and camp and just pig out on cornbread and buttermilk,now that is southern eating.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
Any cast Iron skillet cornbread cookers here?

I like to put a big chunk of bacon grease (from the jar in the fridge, we never throw it away) in my iron skillet and then put it in the oven while the oven heats up and I mix up my cornbread batter. Once the oven heats up and the skillet and the bacon grease are good and hot I take out the skillet and quickly pour the hot grease into the batter and stir it in and then pour the batter into my skillet. It sizzles when it hits the hot skillet and makes a nice crust. Iron skillet and bacon grease is the only way to make it. Oh, and no sugar in my cornbread.

Andy