THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Another Italian cured meat (don't rememebr the nam

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Italian cured meat (don't rememebr the nam
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Maybe some of the Italians here can recall the name of this, originally made with goat, but just begging to be made with venison.
5# lean steaks (1# ea)
3 cloves garlic
1 bunch parsley, minced
1 sprig rosemary (just leaves from)
1 sprig thyme
4 juniper berries, crushed
4 pink peppercorns, crushed
1/4# course salt

Coat steaks in the spice/herb blend (sans salt) then lay one down a bed of salt, salt the top, lay another on top, salt the top, etc., until you have a gian salt and meat sandwich.
Place in a cool spot (celler, maybe, or a fridge if that's what you have, though you want a little breathing room when possible) 40-45 deg for 10 days. You may need to genlty pour off some liquid after a couple days. After the 10d shake off the salt and excess liquid and hang the steaks somewhere cool (<60 deg) for one month. Shouldn't see any mold, but if you do, just rub it off with some saltwater, sprinkle some salt lightly, and keep going.

I have a version of this going in the garage as we speak, but with lean pork.
It should be edible uncooked, though after only a month I think I'd be inclined to use it in cooked dishes, such as antipastos or awesome grilled sandwiches.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Probably BRESAOLA.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of JOHNNY9
posted Hide Post
not sure of the spelling but is sound like your making (phonic spelling)pro-shoot-toe

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Prosciutto is what you mean, but not what he is talking about. Prosciutto is a dried and cured Italian pork ham. Prosciutto is usually cooked, too IIRC.

Pancetta is the Italian version of bacon... cured, but not smoked like bacon.

This is surely a cured meat dish, but neither of the above are "originally made with goat".

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big-ed,
yes, we have two type of prosciutto, the crude and the cooked, both are made with the rear leg of pork, very famous are the prosciutto di San Daniele and the prosciutto di Parma. But there are many other loìcalities famous for theyr prosciuttos.

You are right also about pancetta, that is often rolled.
I really believe that the definition that I gave in a previous answer was correct.
Bresaola is dried meat, cured with salt and herbs and spices as Bwana-be described.
Originally made with all the cheap meat that was possible to find on mountains, and goat was in the list, now is made with bovine meat, and it remains less hard and more tasty.
When made wit a rear leg of goat it took also the name odf "violino" because the shape recall infact a violino. It was hard to cut and to eat like a rock.
Breasola is tipycal of Northern Italy Alps and Switzerland in the Grigioni area. The difference is in the name, in Switzerland is called dry meat instead of bresaola.
It can be eadt with some lemon juice and oil, if too dry, or with some bread with a little butter spreaded on it.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
I must be blind... I didn't even see your first post until now. Roll Eyes

I was just using my limited knowledge of prosciutto. Smiler

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The norwegians have FENALAAR, which is lamb. It is either dried ,salted, or smoked or all three.If it can be done with lamb it certainly can be done with goat or venison etc...For those who don't know -any of the dried meats should[must] be sliced very thin with a very sharp knife.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big-Ed,
Cool there was no criticism in my words, I apologized if you felt.
I do not think that yu are blind, rather I think by a constant tits movement. jump

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be very wary of using coarse salt, you should be using curing salt ie:mortons. It's easy to get food poisoning using regular salt.

be warned

the chef

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I believe you calgarychef1 but I hate the nitrates (nitrites?) in curing salt. I'd rather hit it with too much sodium chloride than Morton's curing or pickling salt.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya I understand, some people think nitrates are a health risk and possibly they are...botulism is a higher and more immediate risk. The amount of nitrates in curing salt is miniscule it is probably close to 99% table salt...it's that little old 1% that does the job of keeping you alive.

One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Steve: A friend of mine used to bring out something he called capicolla ( sp?) It was delicious. Very salty, dry and tough as nails but wonerfull stuff.

pssst America, your vulnerability is showing.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can find info about Italian cured meats at www.salumi-italiani.it Salumi is the generic name for all the cured meats

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Murf:
Steve: A friend of mine used to bring out something he called capicolla ( sp?) It was delicious. Very salty, dry and tough as nails but wonerfull stuff.

Interesting. I have heard of this variation, but never have even seen it. The cappicolla that I am familiar with is a spicy, somewhat fatty ham. It is neither dried nor cured.

Prosciutto takes over a year, depending your recipe and family tradition to make. Part of the reason it is so expensive. As Steve correctly states, there are many local variations.

If there is one thing that can be said for Italian cooking is that variation is the heart of it. I had the opportunity to attend the Bread festival in Rome some years ago. Over 100+ different types of bread were made.