New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Deer Bear Marinade
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I love this site, [Big Grin] Things that go bang [Eek!] and things I can eat. [Smile] If they ever start a forum about beverages with game dishes I will never work! Any way a good friend gave me this recipe years back. I never like other peoples recipes as is I always have to tinker but not so with this. You can ajust it but it is so good as is I flat out guarentee you will love it an use it. I use it with tenderloins back straps and venison steaks and bear tenderloins and backstraps because I find the steaks just a tad too chewey for grilling. It might be my bear though! [Confused]
3/4 Cup oil, Olive oil is what I use now
1/2 Cup cream sherry
2-3 cloves garlic
1/4-1/2 Cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp worchester sauce
1/2 tsp lowery salt
1 Tsp lemon juice
I marinade for a day or even 2 then grill like you would the best beef. No longer than that. It is great for K Bob meat too! [Cool]

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
this is my recipe. works good too. I used to marinate some deer that I served to my mother in-law many years ago. She explained after her third serving that she did not like deer. i waited till her 4th serving to tell her she had been eating deer

Marinade

� Bottle Strong Red Wine
�- � Cup Olive Oil
� Cup Vinegar
~ � Cup Oregano (fresh is best)
~ � Cup Basil (fresh is best)
6 Cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1/8 Cup Chives (optional)
6 Green onions (chopped)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cumin to taste

It is important to use the bottom half of the wine bottle (this has something to do with the enzymes and sediment). So the first step in the recipe is to drink the top half of the bottle of wine. Don’t worry if you do not have enough liquid to cover the meat, you can always open another bottle and drink its top half. Combine all ingredients above, mix well and store in the refrigerator until needed.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rockhead I took out a venison back strap and am going to start on the top half the bottle as soon as possible. [Big Grin] I will let you know on how the feast tastes with your recipe ASAP. I am from the WI MI border N of Mercer. What part of N WI are you from?

one of us
posted Hide Post
DP

Ahh we're neighbors, (sort of) I'm in Three Lakes.

Been in your area many times, Like the Blue Bayou in Manitouish a lot....

hope the marinade worked for you.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rockhead we had those venison back straps in your marinade Saturaday with a lobsters tail on the side. I did substitute regular onions and used dried herbs. It was excelent, [Big Grin] I will use it again and would recomend it. [Wink] You still should give mine a try however. We had enough marinade to cover 2 meals for us so we are haveing a repeat Monday night. [Smile] It has been drinking up those juices since Friday morning. I will crack a bottle of red but since we do not need to build a marinade we can see what the bottom half of the bottle tastes like. [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you enjoyed it

you can reuse the marinade several times as long as you keep in in the refrigerator. although you may need to add more of the bottom half of a wine bottle

I will do your marinade with some deer next weekend. I expect that it will be excellent.

[ 04-08-2003, 03:46: Message edited by: rockhead ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
rockhead - many years ago I lived in Green Bay, I use the same recipe as yours except I use balsamic vinegar - I also prefer lots of pepper [Eek!] - we are gearing up for bear hunting now and I am anxious to grill up some tenders [Big Grin] - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bear meat can be baked,get 2 cans of apricots and soak the meat in it over nite then bake at 325 for 2 hours with the meat coverd and in the same pan with all the apricots and juice ,or the better way is in the crock pot.enjoy

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote