Notify
Tools

Pulled beef
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve smoked pork and made pulled pork.
Can one do that with beef?
If so what cuts and and secrets to success?
Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
df,I don't know if this will help you,but I will throw it out.I posted a recipe on pulled pork sliders;I see no reason that you could not use the same recipe for beef.On buns it would make a housefull happy over the holidays or otherwise.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it would be delicious! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck roast - do it all the time! Smiler

Basically, the same as you would brisket or pulled pork; I like cherrywood smoke. Keep it moist and you're in the gold.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
We have a multi day family dove hunt in Ks every year and lunches are a big deal. Usually a shrimp boil one day. Looking for another lunch main course.
Will give this a test run soon.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
any large fatty cut of meat... smoke for a couple hours to get some soft flavor.. mesquite, pecan... wrap in foil and cook for about an hour per inch of thickness... use salt, pepper to begin with,....then split the foil on top of the foil and pour off the liquid and save it... mop on whatever bbq sauce you want... I like kraft regular with a dark beer added... get a decent bark, maybe another hour or so... then let it set until its cool enough to handle comfortably... shred it with 2 forks....add the liquid you saved earlier... if you need it... but pour off the grease first... I use briskets, shoulder chunks... you want fat meat, not lean... the grease will cook out and you can pour it off...simpler is better.. slow is good... a 15 lb brisket that is about 4 inches thick will take me about 7-8 hrs to get it like I want it... I use direct heat and direct smoke..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jim,sent you a P.M.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
DF, I do this with the famous "Mississippi Roast."
Set your Crockpot on high.
Take a 3- to 4-pound boneless chuck roast with major fat trimmed and sear it to get the Maillard reaction. Put this in the Crockpot.
Top it with two cups sliced mushrooms, one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix, one packet of either Au Jus or dried onion soup, a half stick of butter and 8 to 12 pepperoncinis.
Let it go 6 to 8 hours, then lift out the beef, and pull it, reserving the peppers and mushrooms.
I make a gravy/sauce with the drippings using a fat separator to moisten the beef.
Great on toasted buns with a dollop of gravy, a spoonful of mushrooms and a pepper or two on the side.
Not kidding; so simple and you will have folks offering you barbecue guns, double rifles and first-born for the recipe.

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16430 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote