Find
Notify
Tools

Mess
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
That was the name we called it + it was one of my boys all-time favourites when they were growing up + still is, super easy too. Dice up enough potatoes to fill up half way in your large cast iron skillet + ry them until done + remove. Throw in a lb. of HB or venison + cook down until just time to add diced onions +/or bell pepper (optional). Put the potatoes back in the skillet. Season with garlic powder, cumino, chili powder, + paprika. Blend well then add a pkg. of frozen peas or corn or veg. mix (we liked the peas best).( green giant also makes a frozen peas/ vegi blend that is butter based + its a good addition too) Cook down together until well blended then cover with grated cheddar or colby cheese. Turn off the fire + cover with a lid for 5 minutes to let the cheese melt down through it all + serve with catsup + tabasco. (optional). The whole thing might take you 45 minutes + it will feed a lot of hungry boys. Amounts can very from the size of your skillet to the number of potatoes to how many are eating; but the one important thing is to use a cast iron skillet. There is no substitute.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me to be a decent stove-top skillet potato casserole.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy — if you ever want to return to college fraternity life … rotflmo

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, no, back then I couldn't afford the HB. I would buy a large sack of potatoes + live on that. Oh yeah + a little venisn now + then. Whistling

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Randy! Will have to try it. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's boy filling proven!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Substitute diced corned beef for the meat, and put a few over easy eggs on top, and I love the recipe.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's pretty good too. For supper + then again for breakfast.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Ya know I had to try that,Added NM ground red and a touch of garlic.

Left overs I had planned for breakfast just went for "seconds" at supper.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My eldest son (43) came by today + I mentioned that I had posted the mess recipe here + he said that was the best eating he ever had in his life + thanked me again while telling me how happy he was when his mother took off + left me with the 3 boys. He said, "We finally got to eat some REAL food, not some hippie crap that she came up with, + she left the 67 Biscayne!" Made me feel good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Naw! all his boys left home shortly after they could walk! jumping rotflmo

Well maybe not!!sounds pretty good.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote