Find
Notify
Tools

Venison Sausage Recipe - Links
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I have research a lot of sites, but I want to make a bunch of venison sausage from last years and this years bucks. These will be links in traditional casings.

What recipe have you got that beats all others?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd use our italian family pork sausage recipe:5 lbs coarse ground pork,2 TBS crushed red pepper flakes,1+ TBS fennel seed & 1 TBS salt. For medium 1 TBS of crushed hot pepper or less plus 1 TBS black pepper , the 1 TBS salt & 1 TBS fennel seed for mild only use the black pepper,fennel and salt.You can stuff it in casings or make into patties and freeze.My grandparents made pepperoni with the recipe adding a lot more salt and crushed red pepper to taste,they'd stuff it into casings and hang it in the attic in the summer with lots of paper under it to absorb the fat until it was hard and dry then it would be stored from the floor joices in the basement and none of the mice,rats or other pests would go near it due to the pepper and salt.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have worked sausage with a Portuguese family that was similar. If I try it I will let you know how it goes.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I have worked sausage with a Portuguese family that was similar. If I try it I will let you know how it goes.
Since most game meat is very lean you may want to add some pork to it if you make sausage.A packing house in Meeker used to make up chili meat with venison and it was really good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
this thread got me really hungry-venison sausages and italian sausage yum yum

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed a good Rueben Sandwich with Smoked meat,Swiss Cheese and Sauerkraut.

About 10 years ago I decided to make a sausage link with those ingredients already inside.

First I make a low salt Corned Venison or Deer.I very coarsely grind this and add it to my sausage mix with about 30% pork butt. I hand cut the cheese into 3/8" cubes and add chopped Sauerkraut.I stuff them into links and slowly bring them up to temperature in my water smoker.

I serve them in a split and toasted roll with deli mustard.

Really unusaul and lots of fun to make. stir

Posts: 8 | Location: Southern Alberta | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote