Find
Notify
Tools

Pickled eggs, anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
This topic came up on one of my old Oregon fishing forums and I had to confess to never having eaten a pickled egg. Several recipes were suggested, some rather elaborate. But apparently the simplest thing is just to pack peeled, hard-boiled eggs in a jar of pickle juice after you have eaten all the pickles. Pepperoncini juice is said the be equally suited to this task. You let the eggs soak for 10 days to two weeks in the fridge, then have at them.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
remember the pickled sausages the bars used to have??... ive used that liquid too...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but we'll never see the "Nickle Pickle" again.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pickled chicken eggs are my favorite, but I like pickled qual eggs too!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have a half-dozen HB eggs cooling their heels in juice from Mount Olive Baby Kosher Dills as we speak. Be another week or so. Can you make an egg salad sammich with these critters are do you have to just eat them straight up?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both.

My wife likes to throw some into the pickled beet juice makes them a nice red color.

She has a great pickled beet salad recipe.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife likes to throw some into the pickled beet juice makes them a nice red color.

She has a great pickled beet salad recipe.

tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pickled beets are wonderful IMO.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love pickled eggs and, yes, I just use dill pickle juice.

I'm sure there are some excellent recipes but I'm naturally lazy so that's what I do.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
After the pickling process is done can you just leave them in the juice or must they be removed and eaten soon?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Well???

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I think you are supposed to leave them in the juice -- which reminds me the batch I started on June 6 ought to be ready now.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have been making pickled eggs for a few years.

When I first began making them I followed a recipe that called for vinegar, pickling spices and salt. Speaking of pickling spices, I need to corn another caribou roast. Corned caribou beats corned beef by a mile. But I digress…

Long story short, Pickering eggs from scratch is simple, but tossing hard boiled eggs onto a jar of pickle juice is even easier and the results are almost indistinguishable. One benefit of making your own cure(Pickering juice) is that you can experiment with interesting combinations of vinegar and spices. I like to use balsamic vinegar, which stains the eggs dark brown which I like, and I always ass lots of garlic cloves and sliced onions to the mix. The onions and garlic themselves are to die for. To die for.

To answer the question: the longer you leave them in, the more the cure will penetrate, and you will get a firmer egg.

I have no idea how long they will last, because once I open the jar they are gone in a few days. I would guess they would last almost indefinitely in the fridge.

How to eat pickled eggs: traditionally washing them down with beer was the ticket, but they would be great sliced and added to a salad.

A sandwich would be good, but I wonder if it would mask the texture too much?

Oh, the firm texture is one of the hallmarks of a good pickled egg.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jason, sliced and on a salad is how I will try them tonight. Thanks.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ate the last pickle out of a large baby dill pickle jar this morning. Boiled up some eggs, cooled them down and put them in the pickle juice today. Will try one in a few days to see how they turn out. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I was impressed. Mine had gone three weeks in the pickle juice. I have heard some guys say they will poke an egg a couple of times with a toothpick to allow the juice to find its way well into the yolk.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Never heard about it here in Europe. But I will give a try. If I can pickle cucumbers, beetroot, peppers, mushrooms or whatever, I will try eggs too.

What kind of pickle juice do you recommend? Some Sweet-sour used for cucumbers or any more sweeter with more spices style for beetroot or more sour style?

Could be vacuum packing any advantageous?

What about to boil eggs just a little, peel, put into jars with pickle juice and pasteurize?

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
You definitely boil and peel the eggs first, then place in jars of pickle juice. I prefer dill pickle juice with maybe a bit of diced jalapeños added.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
You definitely boil and peel the eggs first, then place in jars of pickle juice. I prefer dill pickle juice with maybe a bit of diced jalapeños added.

Sure. Here are the ways I want to try:

a) Hard boil eggs, put into jar, add pickle juice, put lid on. Put into fridge for couple of weeks.

b) The same as a), but after lid is on, vacuum it in chamber vacuum sealer. Maybe juice will penetrate quicker in vacuum and/or I get prolonged expiration.

c) Boil eggs to the point I can peel them. Put into jars, add pickle juice and pasteurize it. Why: It will be pasteurized and eggs will not be over boiled (blue yolks etc.). Can be stored for a long time out of the fridge.

Jiri

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
The pickled eggs you commonly see here in bars are not refrigerated and sit on the bar top for months.

one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
I've always just boiled and peeled them and add them to pickled beet juice.I've never thought of using pickle juice but it sounds good.I may even try them in an empty jalapeno jar.

DRSS Member

Posts: 898 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been eating mine and they are amazing! tu2 Ready to boil another batch! The hardest part is waiting for a few days to try them! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of hot sweet pickles that are awesome. Can't remember the brand. Can't wait to pickle some eggs in that juice.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets not overlook Deviled Eggs as part of a Texas BAr B Q......I can eat a half dozen of them on any given day!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
My wife found a one gallon wide mouth canning jar last week, I bought pickling salts/spices, a half gallon of apple cider vinegar and emptied most of the juice from 2 small pickle jars and one diced jalapeño jar. Put up 2 dozen eggs yesterday. Can’t wait to dive in.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, you will never catch me sneering at a deviled egg. I love the things as well.
Jerry, we will need a full report when yours are ready. Your recipe sounds amazing.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
I have eaten "1,0000 year old eggs" in Hong Kong...very tasty, blue colours and runny yolks....apparently packed in sand, soaked in horse urine and left for months to pickle....Unfortunately I don't have a hose so never tried the recipe at home

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
we will be making pickled eggs with beets and pearl onions this week. We have made spam, have processed 34 meat chickens including canning the meat and broth. Add to that 12 doz ears of sweet corn and the steer we butchered and some of it we are now canning.
Next on the list is the hog we butchered and several turkeys and ducks.
Our family have 2 each elk and deer tags this year. Hoping we add to the freezer and canned goods.

coues
ds

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you’re going to need more freezers! tu2

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
You never know what you will find in a rural grocery store.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I just finished 2 dozen quarts of pickled beets which when you add the hard boiled eggs,makes the best pickled eggs on the planet :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once had a recipe for pickled chicken legs. It was like picked pigs feet but healthier. Made them a time or two and they were good.

Wish I could find that recipe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been Pickled a few times!

No Brag-----Just Fact!

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My daughter and I just finished 2 dozen quarts of pickled beets which when you add the hard boiled eggs,makes the best pickled eggs on the planet :-)

YUM, YUM! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was like picked pigs feet but healthier.

And, now I have a hankering for Hormel pickled pigs feet! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, Vaughn, not the canned stuff, but the jar in the brine at the checkout counter; oh wait, those days are gone, along with the nickle pickle. Alas, I do recall the words of Bessie's Smith's song, "Give me a pigs foot + a bottle of beer."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin tu2 Yes, definitely the glass jar with the pickled pigs feet in the brine! tu2

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
No, Vaughn, not the canned stuff, but the jar in the brine at the checkout counter; oh wait, those days are gone, along with the nickle pickle. Alas, I do recall the words of Bessie's Smith's song, "Give me a pigs foot + a bottle of beer."

Those days aren’t gone around here. See the picture above. The store - a Piggly Wiggly- had several size jars of both pig feet and eggs.