New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ox tail soup
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I developed a taste for Ox Tail Soup in Tanzania as Anna Marie, Pierre van Tonders wife is the master of Ox Tail soup made from the tails of 3 bulls...I became addicted and now I make it myself from Beef or Bison..If you try it you must become Neanderthal in nature to eat it as its plumb sloppy to eat and you dig out the fine meat between the bones, snarl like a wolf, as the soup runs down ones elbow onto his pants, splashes on his clean shirt or bib if he is a thinking person and the results place one in an aura of utopia..

Ricipe:
3 ox tails cut up in the sections of the tail bone, heavy pepper and some salt, Fry lightly in Olive Oil with chopped onions, lots of chopped garlic, lots of Jalapeano chiles (my addition to the soup) fry until lightly browned then cover with water and boil for an hour then add carrots, potatoes if you like, a can or two of Herdez chili (another of my improvments_added to the pot) and a spoon or two of Beef Bullion and a handful of fresh Cilantro, Salt and pepper to taste.

Want to add to it? be my guest, it will still be like paradise on earth..

I cook in a iron pot and skillet, but you can just toss all the ingrediants into a slow cooker and have at it...

Wont work on elk or deer, they have improper tails. Must be bovine or hey one might just go with elk or deer backstap by separating the sections of the back bone..Hmmm maybe that will be my next venture since the tail on a animal is nothing more than an extension of the backstraps..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
It is good, but hippo tail is even better....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes,Bob did have a way with words that made them more than alive."Poor Man's Hemingway?" I think not;he was a great writer in his own league.As much as I admire papa,I admit that Bob was a force of his own. We have missed him since 1965 + we lost him at the age of only 50.What a shame not only to a life cut short,but the loss of journalism. ;Does sound a bit cheeky but I remember when James Clavell died + my 1st thought was ,well there goes the Asian series.DAMN!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray,
I had ox tail soup in Zambia while hunting buffalo with Mike Heath. Mike said his cook made the best ox tail soup ever. Couldn't disagree with him. It was very spicy, don't know what he used, some kind of skinny green chile. It was excellent. My grandmother used to make ox tail soup. After she boiled it for a while, she drained off the water. She said ox tail has a lot of fat in it. If you didn't it would give the runs because it was so rich. Hers was good to, not as spicy.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's coming up on that time of the year here in North America when soup is great on a cold evening! And ox tail soup is one of the great ones! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love ox tail soup. Traditional the day after every buffalo. Eland tail soup is just as good. Only thing better is tongue and frankly I'm not sure if I had to make a choice. Fortunately, they all have tongues and tails.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive never had ox tail soup from a Hippo, but have shot enough of them to believe you would have to kill at lest several hundred to have much soup!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a stew instead of soup [Coda di Bue }
Not nearly so sloppy !
You can have you're filet mignon I;; take some flavor !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sloppy is the best part of Oxtail..fat running off your elbows onto your pants, you just have be in the right mind set and tell the health nuts to kiss off!, their Democrats anyway! sofa jumping

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120