Find
Notify
Tools

Steak too fatty? Baconize it.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
I surprised the Wife Sunday with a 3 pound chunk of real boneless 'prime rib'. It was loaded with fat & only half was edible and after removing the bands of fat we ended up cutting the remaining numerous freckles of tallow with hot sauce to make it palatable.
Anyway. Ended up with a pound of trimmed center meat left over and just cut it into bacon sized strips and dusted it with salt, pepper, turbinado sugar and paprika and broiled 'em in the oven. Yum!
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'll be darned. Never "hoid o' sucha thing." Prolly too late to ask for a photo, is my guess. Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sorry Bill,

No pictures. We served it with some Knorr Terriaki noodles. Bacon is excellent this way too.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I don't like wagyu!

Too fat for my liking, and by the look of things, the fatter it is the more expensive it is!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yeah. We tried that too. Wagyu is over-rated. So are high fat content hamburgers.

I'm back to my favorite - 5-6 week dry aged rib eye. Not true ribeyes. But perfect!

These look similar to the lean center cut rib-eyes I got while I was in my 20's at the bar Few places sell true rib eyes.

This place called them filets.
What I call true ribeye.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I don't like wagyu!

Too fat for my liking, and by the look of things, the fatter it is the more expensive it is!

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I don't like wagyu!

I like it very much. But that less fatty/cheaper ones. Not ultra expensive "almost fat only".

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the Wagyu is highly overrated. For a freezer calf, I have always found black Angus to be a good choice.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Me too on Angus beef. I may try my hand some dry aging some beef in my basement. The flavor can be incredible. It developes a nutty flavor after about 6-7 weeks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Black Angus is just beef like any other, been in the ranching business too long to buy that old claim..Hereford. Brama, cross bred beef is all the same. Wague is a feeding type of beef, founded with forced beer to a jelly fat..Its all a farce for suckers..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it comes off a beef,fat,meat tallow all of it..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankly, some of the best beef I’ve had is from local farmers raising surplus dairy (Holstein) steers. Can’t say the breed of cow tastes too different- but I’d suspect breed may impact how and where the fat gets out on the animal.

Grass fed dairy steers are what I buy from personal preference around here… the black angus guys seem to think their meat has gold in it somewhere…

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who doesn't like fat tallow with a bite of red meat is liable to chase rabbits and howl at the moon, You guys sound like my cartologists, Hes screwed up in the head also!! Big Grin

Holstien steers are excellent beef and feed out good at the feed lots,,, Its all beef just like deer is deer, elk are elk..Angus are just a sales gimmick, but good also, just no different..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120