Find
Notify
Tools

Morel season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Morel season came early here. I am glad I looked for them as they were several weeks earlier than usual. I used some last night in a wild and brown rice stew with rabbit meat.

I sauteed the onions, some garlic and the mushrooms together before adding to the finished rice. Chopped the mushrooms into small pieces for this.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, the morel of the story is???

Get outside, pick mushrooms - eat like a queen!!!

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
So, the morel of the story is???

Get outside, pick mushrooms - eat like a queen!!!

Yes, that's for sure. Morels are good but I find that my favorites are the summer and autumn boletes over all. They are much more plentiful as well.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I miss hunting for morels this time of year in the Oregon Cascades. May was the peak, and especially a couple of days after thunderstorms. The M. esculentas -- the classic large, creamy white ones -- were native to the stream valleys at lower elevations, while the M. angusticeps -- or black morels -- were dominant above about 3,000 feet of elevation up in the mixed conifer forests.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16407 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a few last night.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote