New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food of Cuba
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have to ask this question here as it's about food .
One of the standard dishes of Cuba is Black Beans and Rice. All my life I've known it and called it Moros y Christianos.Is it still called that in Cuba or have they too become political correct? stir

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it still called that but I love the dish! Ever since I lived in Tampa, FL I have been sold on Cuban food. I had a Cuban housekeeper and she taught me several dishes as well as the Columbian Restaurant downtown. I make traditional Black Bean Soup, White Bean Soup, and Cuban Sandwiches. The foods are very similar to the southern dishes I enjoy here in SC. For the black beans I simmer with ham hocks, garlic powder, and cumin, then serve over white rice garnished with sliced/diced onions and a dollop of sour cream.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also known by that phrase in Ecuador, Peru, Puerto Rico, etc., when they are cooked together.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For Cuban food in the Dallas area, The Latin Pig is a good option. Last time there my wife had the Lechon and I had Camarones Endiablados.

http://www.thelatinpig.com/

An added plus is that The Latin Pig is BYOB.

They accidentally put a Texas redneck twist on Camarones on their menu, spelling it "Camo-rones". Texans will go for anything in camo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would love to try it. Plano, alas, too far.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Cuban food in LA, avoid "Versailles". Exhaustive menu of inedible rubbish.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pernil is wonderful, and easy. I have a post on it in here, somewhere, if anyone is interested..

Hot damn, it is good stuff ~

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get that pernil out here. If I had known you were holding that back I would have really been pissed.

Pernil was one of my favorites in Venezuela. Put it in an arepa with cheese, or stop at an open air Shawarma-style shop and get a shaved pernil sandwich. Can't beat it!

Show us what you've got.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten about your pernil post. I've got to make a plan. Most of my wife's friends are Latin. They would go crazy for this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Would love to try it. Plano, alas, too far.

List of some closer to your home, plus has a bunch of cuban recipes. Cafe Piquet and Rincon Criolla seem to have good reviews. LIST

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote