Tools

Anybody eatin muskrat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
if so, how are you fixin em?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten them...and enjoyed them, but they were cooked by Tulppo's Restaurant at Bruce's Crossing in the Michigan Upper Peninsula. Every winter those folks have a fabulous wild game dinner. My favorite was bobcat...amazingly good.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
No I have not and I have skun way too many of them as a kid to start eating them now. Proably very good but NFW am I earing one.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
Well, I asked about squirrels and they are just bushy-tail rats, but anything with the words 'musk' and 'rat' in its name is a bit much for me.

I guess if someone fixed it, I might give it a try.... after several rounds at the bar.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Hey 22,,,this link oughta keep you in the kitchen for a while,,Hope you have plenty of them rats to cook!!!!! http://my.net-link.net/~vaneselk/muskrat/recipes.htm Have fun!!!clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything that I've seen about muskrats begins........first remove the scent glands from inside the back legs. I don't remember ever seeing scent glands. Now my trapping days were a long time ago and I just can't remember. But if someone brought me a pile and said "I've removed the scent glands" I'd gladly cook them up and try them. I've eaten beaver and it's mighty good--oh oh here we go about the beaver jokes.

the chef

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Muskrat, like beaver, is best eaten after being freshly dressed and with proper preparation and presentation by someone experienced in the art.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Chef, We both know Canadian BEAVER tastes best!!

Posts: 28 | Location: Spruce Grove AB | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit of a taxidermist.......I've been proudly stuffing Canadian beavers for quite a few years now!!!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of them are pretty darn big too!

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that the small trim beavers do taste better than the big ones, although in a pinch any beaver is better than no beaver!!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
One does have to take a care though with the nocturnal type of beavers so you don't be finding it a requirement to gnaw your arm off to get away in the light of a morning.