Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Curried Vension Dish
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi:
I have MANY, MANY recipes for "curried" dishes .... applicable to venison or for other meats.....
Give me a holler.....
aax1@bellsouth.net

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I love curried dishes but haven't been too successful with them in the past...would love to have some of your recipes!!

......Keith

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Conifer,

Post some of them, Please!

Am looking for a mild curry recipe rather than a smokin' one. Curry can be a very nice spice as well as a source of heat.

Thanks!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Curry" is not a spice.... so-called "curry powders" are made from a variety of spices, and in an endless variety of proportions. Only "westerners" use pre-prepared curry powders; those who "live" SE-Asia cooking prepare their spices as they cook. And, when Eastern Indians moved to the Caribbean, many modifications in cooking took place. So, West-Indian "currys" are quite different from their Asian origins.

Here's one, that is extremely easy to make....and super good:

West Indian Curried Chicken with Lime.

Materials: (use a Dutch oven)

1 fryer....cut to legs/thighs/wings/split back/split breasts.

2 med. onions coarsely chopped

A couple of tablespoons cooking oil

2-3 tsp. "curry" powder

2-3 tsp. chili powder (can use Mex. chili pdr.)

3-4 TBS soy sauce

1/2 fresh lime, cut in 2

1 cup water

Methods:

Saute onions in oil (in Dutch oven) to transluscency. Transfer to a bowl

and mix in the curry pdr., chili pdr., and soy sauce. A dense red-brown colour will result.

Put into Dutch oven the chicken pieces and brown in oil. Drain off excess oil and discard. Add the onion/spice mix atop/distributed over the chicken pieces, as well as the cup water. Cover the Dutch oven and place in pre-heated 325 oven for 1/2-hour. Then remove cover, squeeze the 2 lime quarters over all, and throw in the peels. Mix carefully. Return to oven (uncovered) for 5-to-10 minutes. Serve over rice...with a sweet chutney. (Sun Brand Major Greys)

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Conifer,

I tried this dish this week. I was simple and tasted great!

Thanks!!

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote