Find
Notify
Tools

Cream of mushroom soup
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
As many of you know I not only cultivate fungi I also have knowledge and collect the edible wild species. Last summer I set up some old stock tanks to grow some new to mushroom species. One was for king Stropharias, AKA winecaps.

I had a nice flush just recently and decided to make some soup. Wow! Very nice mushroom. They remind me quite a bit of the wild Caesar Amanita which is found in our late summer woodlands.

This is a very easy mushroom to cultivate as they are compost types. They like hardwood wood chips and straw. Caps and stems can be very large. Get them harvested before the insects deliquesce them on you.

Also, I loosely followed this recipe. I am known to tweek things a lot:

https://cafedelites.com/creamy-mushroom-soup/

The really big cap on the lower right is much bigger than my hand. They shrink down quite a bit when sauteed for the soup.

And the final result.

I was very pleased with this soup. Good with a crusty roll.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anne,

That looks incredible.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That does look good!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
What both of them said! tu2

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
That looks to be one great bowl of soup.

Best I have ever had was at a "Steakhouse" on I think hwy 41 in IL or IN. Famous back in the day.

That looks like it could rival it so it must be a fine looking bowl.

I will have to admit I am too cowardly to venture into the woods looking for edible mushrooms.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. It was very good. If you like mushrooms a nice 'cream of' recipe does them justice. Not hard to make either.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
My mouth is watering.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I wish it wasn't all gone now. Was very good. Looks like my area is headed for drought through October so mushrooms are gonna be sparse at best.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Looks delicious Ann.

I got to make myself some cream of mushroom soup soon. Wife won't eat mushrooms. Probably use criminis. The only wild species I got is some dried bitter bolotes that I dried before I realized they were bitter. Don't suppose anyone out there has a way to "save" them from the trash can. I hate waste.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, they are bitter fresh, dried or fried!

If your area is getting any rain look for chanterelles in the hardwoods. They make a nice COM soup. Chants are easy to identify.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the scoop Ann.

Found a nice patch of chants in 2020. Just polished them off for breakfast a couple weeks ago. May head up to my patch again soon. We just had moisture last night and the humidity is up too. Waiitng for a car title from FEDEX or I'd be out tomorrow.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote