THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Re: Favorite Lunch Menu while Hunting?

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Favorite Lunch Menu while Hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted
I hunt in the eastern US where short distances often allow half day hunts. Then I go inside for a real meal. I like to change clothes and eat hot soup or stew. Then I shower and go back to hunting clothes to stay as scent free as possible. When I stay out all day it's protien bars and hot water to stay scent free. Yum. With any luck that night it's fried onions, bacon and venison liver.

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on where I'm hunting. In the "outback" the temp can get up over the 45degree (C) mark, another locations can see the weather change from warm, sunny, 20(C)+ to 6" of snow, temp -10 (c) in the space of a few hours.

We don't take 'snacks', we take food - in both locations, we pack lots of bread, hungarian salami or sardines, cheese, fruit and LOTS of water - plus lots of chocky snacks!

By the way, what are 'grits' - is that what we call polenta - ie cornmeal? I reckon that would make a great addition!

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
rugeruser
Polenta, it is an Northern Italian word that means:
sort of thick porridge made with maize flour, water and salt.
It was a cheap food in the past, to eat with meat or cheese, butter etc.
In Northern Italy is preferred "hard", in Southern Italy is preferred near to "liquid and soft.
Polenta can be eaten hot/warm immediately after it has been taken from the fire, or cold with some oil salt and pepper, or fried or grilled.

Does cornmeal enter in some of this definitions? And grits?

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
ahh, i love polenta. that and risotto, parmegianno reggianno, and nice cured ham , oh that is good.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rugeruser:
By the way, what are 'grits' - is that what we call polenta - ie cornmeal? I reckon that would make a great addition!

Click the link for your answer.

http://www.quakeroats.com/qfb_OurBrands/BrandDetail.cfm?BrandID=21

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
its good to have it simple. when we eat in the cabin for lunch, its normally slices of bread, fried sausage or meatcackes, fried potatoes and eggs. but i like lefse with or tortilla with some thin sliced venison ,and salad on . hopefully iwill get enough cash someday to visit africa and see how their hunting lunches is . plus they have aklso fine wine .

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Dark bread and pastrami or roast beef sandwiches with chili or some sort of heavy stew.

Summer sausage, hard salami, jerky, boiled eggs, crackers, German mustard, cheeses, dried fruit.

For dinner lots of steak, eggs, tortillas, and fresh tomatos, with potatos and onions cooked with Lowerys salt in aluminum foil on the open fire.

And maybe a fresh brook trout or mountain grouse if we can catch one.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,

You guys have the best cured meats and summer sausage in Europe...and beer too and cheese and bread!!

I just had a pulled pork sandwich and baked beans...that would work in the woods too. Hmmmmm..... think I'll have another and take a nap.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I don't have the luxury of going to camp for lunch where I deer hunt, so it's surplus store MREs for me. Pack it in, crap it out....3 days later.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We do a Jause. I learned this in Austria and it is nothing more than a selection of hams, salamis, and other cured and smoked meats, with cheeses on rye bread with butter and a good mustard. With it we eat fresh apples, pears, and tomatoes along with different pickled vegetables. In my pack I like to carry a chocolate bar (Lindt with hazelnuts and raisins or Milka of the same flavor), a granola bar, a stick of Landjaeger sausage, teriyaki jerky, dried tropical fruits, and water. I will pack a sandwhich if I am planning on hiking all day.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
cured meat and, ham , sausage are alway good as huntfood, keep it simple and good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like meatloaf sandwiches while I am on the deer stand. A couple of them with some good spicy brown mustard, a couple Hershey candy bars and a Thermos of Hot Chocolate go a long way towards keeping me on the stand when its too damn cold to be there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For November Deer hunting, I like Ham & Cheese withda little mustard and Mayo.

Coffee and maybe a small can or Diet Pepsi.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never leave my deerstand at that time of day (have shot too mant deer scared up by those who do). But I pack in homemade jerky, trail mix with fruit and nuts, high enery sanos like peanut butter and cheese and hot tomato soup.
Camp food varies by who'se cooking: ranging from steak, stoganoff, cabbage rolls (pre made)and pork chops, etc. Nothing fancy, we camp in a wall tent complete with wood stove for heat and a cook tent; even though it's only 30 miles from home.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Spam, pure and simple, and the original, not the ones with the mechanically separated chicken. clap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
#1 - Spam, pure and simple, and the original, not the ones with the mechanically separated chicken. #2 - Sardines in olive oil Both with a sprinkle of Tabasco......and maybe a saltine or three clap

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The more I thought about this the more I think my answer is "I don't care". What I looked forward to was just the chance to relax and take in what was around me at each meal. I was in Zimbabwe (Matetsie 2) in July. We got up about 6:00am and while eating breakfast you could hear the lions calling to each other in the darkness.

By 7:00 we were out trying to find buffalo tracks. At about 9:30 we stopped and I discovered that I was the only one that had eaten breakfast. The PH, trackers, and game scout had waited. At 9:30 they unpacked a nice brunch of whatever leftovers were from the previous night made into sandwiches or snacks, plus something sweet. They would lay out folding chairs and we would sit for fifteen minutes and talk about elephant hunting, buffalo, or simply tracking.

Around noon we would return to camp for lunch if we weren't on buffalo spoor. We were back out hunting by 2:30pm most days. At dark-thirty we were back at camp around the fire listening to baboons and/or hyena. In many cases for dinner they would serve something I had shot.

It wasn't so much what we ate for lunch as just the fact that I was eating lunch in Africa.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
normally have mustgoes when hunting

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If hunting from the cabin (5 miles from home) will have a slow cooker of Venison chilie on and makings for sandwiches in the frig. also big jar of dill pickles and pickled eggs. If just day hunting from home ham and cheese sandwiches, hot tea and sweets.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted Hide Post
I usually take some canned oily fish like tuna or sardines and some fresh bread sealed up in a plastic baggy and make up sandwiches when I get to the lunch stop.

I always throw in a piece of fruit or two and maybe a museli bar for quick energy if I feel I'm starting to go flat.

I also take at least 2 litres of water in my daypack and maybe a can of cold beer wrapped up tightly in a towel.
It's amazing how long a cold brewski will stay chilled if wrapped up properly, 3 or 4 hours quite easily.
And there's NOTHING that compares to being out in the scrub on a hot day a pulling a cold can from your pack and Pssshht!!.....oh yeah.....sit back and take in the view. thumb

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When hunting in the bush I throw a few Pilot Bread crackers, a hefty slab of hard salami or a can of sardines, a few slices of Tillamook cheddar cheese, and some dried fruit in a bread bag for lunch.......Hard candy too. Water, tea or Tang for the beverage.

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote