New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk (or other like game) scalopinni
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been reading some of the excellent recipes on here and thought I would add to the pool. The recipe is scaled to 4 diners. Scale the portions as needed for more or fewer diners.

2 LBS elk roast
2 shallots, chopped
1 cup dry white wine (Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc)
tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley

Take the roast and cut it into slices 1/4" thick. Pound the slices out with a meat mallet, as you would with veal scalopinni. For convenience sake, it is handy if the meat ends up in pieces of about 3"x5" or less. It doesn't matter particularly what the shape of the slices are.

Salt and pepper the meat on both sides. Dredge in flour. Sautee the slices of meat on moderate heat in a mixture of butter and olive oil (olive oil helps prevent the butter from burning, but mind your heat on our skillet so you don't overdo it anyway) for about 90 second per side. Adjust your time as needed. You will likely need to do this in several flights, as you don't want the meat to overlap in the pan. When cooked, move the meat to a warmed platter and try to keep warm.

After all the meat is cooked, add butter and olive oil to the pan. Sautee the chopped shallots in the skillet. Add the wine and lemon juice. Boil the wine and lemon juice down rapidly. When the liquids have reduced to about 1/4 their original volume, add the heavy cream. Boil this until the desired thickness is achieved.

You can stop here and serve the sauce in a separate bowl from the meat. Sprinkle the minced parsley over the meat. On the other hand, alternatively, you may return the meat to the sauce and reheat the meat in the sauce, sluice all of that onto the serving platter together, and sprinkle with the parsley. It is a matter of taste as to which presentation your prefer. One of my children doesn't want to eat the sauce but only the meat, so I serve the sauce and meat separately. You may particularly want to reheat the meat in the sauce if you can't keep the meat hot. I have a warming bin in my stove that lets me keep the meat hot.

I like to serve chardonnay white wine to drink with this and rice almond pilaf as an accompaniement.

Rice Almond Pilaf
1/4 cup minced onion
3 tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup of almond slices
1 cup white rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon of minced parsley

Sautee the onion in the butter until soft. Add the rice and toss in the butter and heat while stirring for about 2 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the almond slivers on a baking sheet. Bake about 2 minutes until the almonds turn slightly brown. Watch out! They burn easily.

Add the chicken broth to the rice and onion mixture. Bring to the boil. Cover. Cook for 20 minutes. Adapt the cooking heat as the cooking progresses, turning the flame lower as time goes forwards. When the 20 minutes is done, add the almonds and parsley and stir well. Serve. This goes well with lots of dishes. It also reheats well in the microwave.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great recipe! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sliced fresh mushrooms are a great addition to the meat.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote