Find
Notify
Tools

Whale steak
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted
Whale Steak is a Norwegian delicatessy , it taste like finest venison combined with a very good steak, Its truly wonderfull.

What you need is a steak per person, and some butter , onion, portwine, brown goatmilk cheese, double cream or Creme fraiche. Salt and black pepper.

Fry the steaks in the pan till your wanted temperature, rare, medium, or well done.

Take the steaks out and add the chooped onion in the pan with some more butter, fry the onion until its ready, add some Port and cook until the alchohol evaporates, add the cream and the goatmilk cheese and season it with salt and peper.

Let the sauce cook until its a bit thick.

Serve the steak with boiled potaoes and a good salad, but not too much on the side, the whale is noble and treat it with respect.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I would love to try this steak, just as you describe it. But I can't get a permit for whale here in Arizona. Guess I'll have to head to Norway. wave

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that sounds delicious

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That sauce is typical for game in Norway but usually with the addition of tyttebaer [lingonberries] or you could us red currant or cranberries.The cheese is gjetost ,looks like brown soap,with an unusual , nice flavor.Great on rype [ptarmigan or any type of grouse]. ..When Norway had the winter Olympics there was a group ,wanting to save money , built an igloo.There they were cooking whale meat ! BTW, they eat mincke whale which is not endangered . beer...Another reason for eating whale or seal, as I have ,is that when you tell the eco-freeks you get some great reactions ! dancing

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
You should see their face when you tell them it tastes a lot like Bald Eagle.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Yes Mete, the sauce is tyoucal for venison over here, you can also use some crushed Juniperberries in the sauce, not to much, it caan be very strong. Juniperberries is the one that seasons gin.

Lingonberries is a classic berry over here and it can be used for very much , some stirred lingonberries with a little sugar next to the meat dish, priceless....

The `94 Olympics is some of the best Winter Olympics and it put Norway on the map for people that thought norway was in Sweden etc....

The Brown cheese looks strange but sweet and good.

There is several producers that make it, the big firm and the small firms, they have the best one of them the dark brown one that is a bit powerfull in the flaovor and not so light and creamy as others.

the process for it is simple, you cook milk with the cheese making substance to get the grainy material for the white goat chhe, remove that and then you cook the remaining fluid to caramel, stir continusly, it takes some time and effort but its worth it.

Yes bill, its a little problematic for you to get whale, but if you have a beach front i Arizona , youre half way there..... hihi Big Grin dancing

I have a friend tha tis a chef, she specializes on venison like moose and others, her berry which she uses the most is craneberrys, she picks them herself and she has good marshes close to her home where they grow. incidentally she prefers that they are picked in the spring after the frost have ended, so they get a awy the acid in them . Or get regular and put them in the freezer is a fine wqy to get the delaicateeses on a good way.
Smiler

The whale, where was i.... A wine that will suit this steak, is probably a good claret , one that is a bit light , isince the meat is a mix between venison and steak with a hint of fish. stir

If the world opens their eyes for the resource it is , more people will feel okay with it and not condem it.

I have been thinking of getting som PETA people tha teat meat to to try some exoting meat with a distinctive flavour, but i dont know exactly what that meat should be like... any ideas.. Big Grin

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It should be mentioned that here in the USA unless you live in places like Minnesota it's easier to get gjetost by mail order. Ekte [genuine ] gjetost is harder to find but is made from 100 % goats milk and better than the cows milk kind.My mothers family comes from Oslo and I was raised in a Norwegian neighborhood in Brooklyn. As a kid the tyttebaer was packed in wooden barrels.The smell I remember of the Norwegian fish store was not fish but the wonderfull smell of the berries from the open barrel !!It was simply stirred with sugar and was available in November. thumb

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
hey hey, a fellow Norwegian, cool i have a ton of relataives in Minnesota and other places.

I havent been to the staes yet, but that can soon change..

You probaly have heard about "berry soll", berrys , milk, or sour milk if you have that, 2flatbread" that thin and crunchy, and some sugar, the bread is crushed and mixed with berrys, milk and sugar in the deep plate.

I saw a tv program from Minnesota a little while ago, it was a bit surreal, seeing a McDonalds with Norwegian Wiking style wood carvings on the outside..... That was a unique place indeed.