Find
Notify
Tools

Shanks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Today I am braising some shanks from a buck I shot awhile ago. I will be using this meat for Mexican style recipes and think I will start with some nachos for dinner. I'll freeze some and use it for chili another day.

Anyone else use shanks or do you discard them?

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, Taco's and Oso Buck

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Everything I have read says low and slow.
Many say they make the best eating of any part of the deer.
Cabela's or Bass Pro affiliated cook on youtube has a recipe to make shanks the main attraction, but should provide the base meat for your purposes also.

Seems like treating them like Lambs shanks should be appropriate too.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, low and slow. The meat really smells good when walking inside the house.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely osso bucco! Low and slow until it separates from the bone. Served on a bed of Italian rice with sprigs of Rosemary. Grilled asparagus on the side. New York raspberry cheesecake for dessert.

Posts: 3683 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. I used to do boneless roasts when I butchered my own deer, but shanks sound even better.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I like to freeze the shanks down then push them through my bandsaw to cut into 1 1/2" long sections. Exposes the bone marrow and adds immensely to the flavour when you slow cook them.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
I like to freeze the shanks down then push them through my bandsaw to cut into 1 1/2" long sections. Exposes the bone marrow and adds immensely to the flavour when you slow cook them.

Yes, I do the same and that was the case with this cook off. I was not disappointed with the result.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dog likes shanks, but only if cooked..I don't bother with deer shanks or rib cages, the rest I will eat and enjoy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote