New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to smoke a turkey ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a recipe or how to smoke a turkey.

I have several tame store bought turkeys and was wondering if anybody knows a good way to smoke them.

Thanks

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SIMPLE method.
Use a large Weber grill. Put 2 bricks in bottom such that they look like the 1 and 4 o'clock hands on a clock face. Put the hot coals in the 1-4 hour space. Add smoking wood atop the coals. Put large grate onto grill, with bird on grill OPPOSITE (not above) coals. Leave bottom vents of Weber open. Close all vents on the Weber lid. Put lid on, and walk away. Make sure that smoke curls out along edge of closed Weber. Check in 2 hours to add more wood. Smoking/baking will take 6-8 hours, depending on bird size. Add coals and wood when needed. It works and result is perfect.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Traeger grill.....makes great smoked turkeys..

a pellet wood smoker with temperature controls.

Brine your bird for at least 24 hours,,(salt water, sugar, spices to taste...in reefer for a week is ideal).

I use fruit wood pellets for something like a turkey....

put grill on "Smoke" temp will run around 150 F when it is 50 F outside.....

leave for at least 7 hours,,more is better.....18 hours in the smoker is not too much for me..

I put mine in the oven to finish because I can control when the bird is done, and time it with all the other activities.

before anyone gives me any grief about making smoking too easy, I agree, I have smoked every cut of meat (almost) the hard way(relaxing and tending the fireSmiler. But the Trager's make it super easy to get a great result, with less effort..

and I am kinda lazy.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote