New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cider
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I started a 1-gallon batch of sweet cider tonight, using yeast that I got from Brooklyn Brew Shop:

Good Information: http://brooklynbrewshop.com/ha...er-refill-pack-sweet

Instructions: http://brooklynbrewshop.com/di...der_Instructions.pdf

Awesome, Must-See Video: https://vimeo.com/106141749

Even More-Awesome Label Designed by JINKS: http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/at...0&stc=1&d=1419277068

I made BBS's "regular" hard cider last year, and was duly impressed. That cider used Premier Cuvée and was quite dry; nothing wrong with that, as it is quite refreshing on a hot summer day. However, the idea of a slightly-sweeter, fruit-forward cider really appeals to me. I'm not sure which yeast this actually is, but I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

More as it happens, etc. &c.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I already filled 3-liter jar. Got about 2 litres of cider. Unfortunately, this year has been fruitful for apples, but too cold in spring and summer, so the Apple was not sweet. Cider is too dry and acidic. But you can drink.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Vashper -

Did you have any cherries or plums that this year? My father made some plum wine that was very, very good.

Over here, we have chokecherries, which are small, purple-black fruits that have large pits. They are very "dry" and astringent when eating them off the bush, but the juice is very good, with its own unique flavor that is sweet and slightly tart.

We had a hard frost this spring, which resulted in not very many chokecherries, but I I did get enough to make some chokecherry syrup, and I am going to make some wine with them, hopefully getting started this weekend.

As for the cider, I checked on it this morning, and it seemed to be fermenting very well. I'll switch from a blow-off tube to an airlock when the activity slows down a bit. I am guessing that it will be fermenting at least 3 weeks, but will probably leave it alone until the cider clears, at which time I will bottle it with some honey that will induce carbonation and make it into a sparkling cider.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update -

I took a peek at my cider last night and today. Ambient temperatures are holding right about 68 degrees, with very little variation. There is a nice, steady "blip blip blip" coming from the blow-off tube and there are also plenty of obvious signs of healthy fermentation. I may switch from blow-off tube to airlock tonight, if I remember to do so.

A couple of quick notes: I used a one-gallon bottle of Tree Top apple juice for this; pasteurised, no preservatives. I had wanted to toss in a cinnamon stick and a clove, but forgot to do so. I could probably still add one to this batch, but then got to thinking that it would be nice to have a "base-line" of cider with this yeast that is just as it is meant to be, no modifications. Due to this, I will hold off on the additions until my next batch, which will not be too far away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds delightful!
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Fermentation on this batch is still strong and steady, but it has slowed down a bit, so I switched to an airlock last night. Everything looks good so far.

I also started a second batch last night that is pretty much the same as the first, except for two differences:

a) I saw some Tree Top "3-Apple Blend" at the store, and decided to give it a try:

I have learned from several sources that a blend of apple juices makes the best, well-rounded cider, so this looked like a good opportunity to see how it is. Like the original Tree Top juice that I used with the first batch, it is pasteurized (which is good) but has no preservatives (which would inhibit or prevent fermentation).

b) With this second batch, I did add a good-sized cinnamon stick and some whole clove. I wasn't entirely sure how many cloves to put in, but I do know that they are strong suckers, and these were of very good quality, so I only put in one small one and one large one. If it was too much, we'll remember for next time - but for now, I'm happy with what I did.

When I checked this morning, it was obvious that fermentation was getting a good start with this second batch. Temperatures are staying in the 65- to-68 degree range, which is just fine as far as I know. They might be dipping a little lower late at night, but I doubt that this is a problem, based on the good fermentation that I have seen.

When fermentation slows down on the second batch, I'll switch to an air lock; after that, I'll do my best to ignore both batches of cider for two or three weeks until they clear. I will then bottle them and give them a little time before sampling. I have not yet decided whether to carbonate the cider or leave it still; I'll think it over....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, TAS, virgin cherry we've almost never occurs. I know it exists, because in my youth was going to become a biologist, but circumstances prevented. Perhaps its less common due to the fact that it is worse withstand cold climate. Our common, European bird cherry is too tart, but the kids eat it. We have very little who is engaged in the manufacture of fruit wines, although in the private gardens there is a lot of apples. My neighbors the whole earth is now covered with fallen apples Frowner. The usual set of our gardens - Apple trees, currant, gooseberry. Plums and cherries this year suffered severely from fungal diseases, probably due to cold weather (global warming, what to do). By the way, good idea - I'll try to make next year's wine from plums, I have quite a lot of them, but not very cultured, half-wild. Good Tuica (vodka made from plums) are doing to the South, in Hungary, Bulgaria, Moldova.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds as though you have a really good variety of fruits, but Nature keeps intervening! Hopefully, next year will be better. Have you considered blending two different kinds of fruits - perhaps your tart bird cherries with a sweeter fruit?

The plums that my father used were wild, and the wine really turned out wonderful, with an incredible colour, as well. When I start my chokecherry wine, I'll post on the results and try to get a good photo or two.

I checked on my "spiced cider" this morning, and while fermentation is still steady, it has slowed down. I will switch to an airlock tonight and then leave both jars of cider alone for a few weeks.