New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recipe for Grouse
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a good recipe for cooking grouse? I usually roast it with butter before making a reduction from the pan juices, some garlic, and marsala wine.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I skin my birds,cut them into serving pieces sprinkle them with Johnny's Lamb & Game Seasoning,dredge in flour and brown them in a 2 TBS oil in a 6qt mirro pressure cooker after the pieces are browned I add 1/2 CUP of water or chicken stock and pressure cook them for about 10 to 15 minutes with the regulator rocking slowly,turn the liquid into gravy for spuds or bread.They come out tender and tasty. http://www.johnnysfinefoods.com/search.aspx?search=lamb+and+game

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fixed some up a couple of weeks ago. Mmmm Mmmm Good.
I got three so I cleaned them up, placed a raw bacon slice in each chest cavity, put them into a small turkey bag with some chopped celery, a light sprinkeling of garlic and pepper and baked them for an hour at either 325 or 350, whatever the instructions from the bag said for cornish hens.
They came out moist, tender and very tasty. Had grouse sandwiches for a couple of days after, they were excellent also.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fry some onions, garlic and mushrooms. Add some wine (white or red) and reduce. Add some cream and toss in the raw or partially cooked breasts. Cook covered in the oven until done, it's probably best to leave the lid ajar a little bit to let some steam escape.

or bush style-- Fry onions and birds together add some beer and seasoning, then a generous amount of cayenne. Let it all cook up by the side of the fire while drinking more beer. It's done in an hour or so. I remember that as being the finest bush meal I ever had.

the chef