New
Find
Notify
Tools

12ga Lee Slugs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Picked up a Lee slug mold and plan to work on some loads for a rifled barrel in a Rem 870. Lee has some data with the mold. Has anyone out there have any experience with that data or have some other loads they have sucess with? Would appreciate any input. Thanks

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one can never get them to shoot to the same point of aim more then a few times in a row then all of a sudden one well go way wild,

Some people here claim to have good luck with them. I might not have hit on the right combo of wads yet

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have played with all type of slugs including the lee and lyman, never had any accuracy from either, now sabots they are a different story. Ballistic products sells some sabots for reloading and I get tremendous accuracy out to 200 yards with the GGS and blueforce sabots

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PDS & RAAMW Were you guys using a rifled barrel or a smooth bore?

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Hey snowman...

I've been considering getting a Lee mold...

Does the data that comes with the mold have any loads for use in 3" magnums????

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both, I have played with slugs,for a long time and the only acceptable accuracy was using sabots through a full rifled barrel and what I mean when I say accuracy is pie plate groups at 150 yards. The Lee and Lyman would do that only out to 100yards on a good day. You can buy some decent sabots for reloading from several sources and I would recommend them for rifled barrels.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Various powder manufacturers list receipes for slugs including the 2 manual devoted strictly for shot-shell reloading. I have worked up a lot of my own loads based on other shot-shell recipes, basically I have the position the shell doesn't know what is in front of the charge as long as the weight is the same. If you buy some of the slugs/sabots for sale at Ballistic products
[url=http://www.ballisticproducts.com
/departments.asp?dept=198]http://www.ballisticproducts.c...rtments.asp?dept=198[/url]
they will provide receipts for them, in addition they have their own slug loading manual for $13. I believe a rolled crimp is the best for securing the projectile and for consistent ignition of the propellant so a roll crimp-er is in order and they run about $25

Here is something of interest for long range slug shooting, althought he is shooting at 230 yards with factory foster slugs the accuracy is not near what is needed for hunting

The fellow also put a video recorder at the target to record the impact, he is shooting factory foster slugs at 230yards out of a smooth bore, pay attention to the slug impact and the report of the gun, 690 feet away approx 1500 fps at muzzle, sound at sea level travels roughly 1000 feet/sec,

http://www.practicallyshooting...Number=3651#Post3651

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trophyhunter The Lee data is for 2 3/4 in cases.