Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Powder?
 Login/Join

posted
I am working up some heavy 12 GA loads & have the choice of using Herco or SR7625. I have not used either of these. I use a lot of Red Dot & Unique in the Alliant line. I have not used any of the IMR powders. Which one would you use & why?
Thanks
5X

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Either one would be fine. I don't currently use either for twelve gauge but I use both in twenty and I used some Herco in twenty-eight gauge with the old AA hulls. I have probably used more Herco over the years than any other shotgun powder. It is not the cleanest burning powder but it is versatile.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess on what you consider heavy 12 ga loads. For the really heavy stuff Blue dot works better. I have used many lbs of Herco over the years. But for the really heavy 12 gr loads I go with blue Dot.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I heard Blue Dot was pretty dirty & that Herco might burn cleaner. I know Red Dot & Unique work really well in my light 12 & 20 gauge loads. How is the felt recoil with Blue Dot?
Thanks,
5X

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find all the alliant powders dirtier then some. But that what they make cleaning stuff for I guess if one was going to shoot hundreds of rounds at one time it might be a propblem But I load 1.5 oz loads with blu dot and don't have a trouble but then I don't shoot hundreds of them at once.

I know I have shot hundreds of rounds loaded with red dot with out touble at once.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have never found dirty lowder to be a problem either. I started out selecting Herco and Unique because they offered some of the lowest pressures for the loads I selected and they were versatile enough that they could be used in several gauges. Because I don't load many of the heavier loads I don't go through much Blue Dot anymore. I have a one pound canisted that is still full (might even have the Hercules label) sitting on the bench.

P Dog, you don't think it would be fun to shoot a hundred or more 1 1/2 ounce loads at one shooting? I don't know that it would be any more painful than three or four rounds with Mike Tyson.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 5X:
I am working up some heavy 12 GA loads & have the choice of using Herco or SR7625. I have not used either of these. I use a lot of Red Dot & Unique in the Alliant line. I have not used any of the IMR powders. Which one would you use & why?
Thanks
5X

Which version of the 12 GA 2 3/4, 3 or 3.5?
Shot size?

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jay,
The 2 3/4" 12 gauge. Shot size will be fairly big. Like #2's I am also trying to work up some 2 3/4" buckshot loads for either #00 buck or #4 buck. Another powder option I'm looking at is IMR SR7625 instead of the Alliant's.
5X