Notify
Tools

Novice questions on loading steel shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys,

I am interested in learning whats involved in loading with steel shot.

Here in New Zealand, the only steel ammunition available to us is factory. I have asked around the local gunshops, and no one is willing to talk to me about loading steel shot. Factory steel is quite expensive, hence my keen interest in loading steel.

Why I am here asking you experts.

I have loaded lead in past years, but that is now banned for shooting wildfowl (our duckshooting season opens this weekend).

All replies appreciated.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
Loading steel shot is alot more involved then lead, but doable and a great way to improve on the performance. It requires differant wads and powders along with proceedures. It's fun and rewarding but definetly a more advanced loading.I don't know what you have available to you as far as componants but you should start with alot of reading first. I'd be happy to help you out but it's not a do this get that type of thing. PM me if I can help. Also check out the forums at shotgunworld.com alot more shotgun info than on this group,these people are way more expert in metalic loading.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote