New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annoying problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a MEC 600 Jr. with the universal charge bar. After I drop the shot and raise the ram or at the next station, one shot pellet will fall out (usually goes on the floor). One pellet wouldn’t be bad, but after reloading a box, I have 15-20 pieces of shot scattered on the floor. Is the problem related to the movable insert in the charge bar? Is there a simple cure? Other than this one problem, it does a great job for the moderate volume of shells that I shoot.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go to MEC's internet sight and get the customer service number and give them a call as they can give you the correct solution for the problem.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A/C guy:
I have a MEC 600 Jr. with the universal charge bar. After I drop the shot and raise the ram or at the next station, one shot pellet will fall out (usually goes on the floor). One pellet wouldn’t be bad, but after reloading a box, I have 15-20 pieces of shot scattered on the floor. Is the problem related to the movable insert in the charge bar? Is there a simple cure? Other than this one problem, it does a great job for the moderate volume of shells that I shoot.

I have used a MEC 600 JR for a long time, and I have never had a problem with the universal charge bar,...

but...

it may be something with the drop tube. The Drop tube should be spring loaded, which actuates the pressure gauge when seating the wad.... just before throwing the shot bar to drop the shot into the wad. The Drop tube might actually be holding a pellet up there. Just a thought.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a shot pellet becoming wedged outside the shot hole in the charge bar, between the charge bar and the frame in which the charge bar moves. I've had it happen too. If you use larger shot it usually won't happen.

One possibility is to use the MEC bar that has the hole for just the charge weight you are using. (i.e. Use that instead of the universal charge bar, and use the powder bushing that gives the charge you want with the specific powder you are using.) There are little plastic inserts at the top of the shot hole. Replacing that plastic insert will often solve the problem, as they get worn down with use and allow a pellet to press into the plastic and thus get pushed out.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
I can't answer the why, but I got tired of loose shot on my bench and floor, and just mounted my loader in a cheap cake pan. Just put the base of the loader in a cake pan, then drive your screws through the loader base, and cake pan into your bench. It does not let any shot or powder spilled get away from you.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 309 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Problem solved. Go to Sportsman's Warehouse and buy your shells. At todays prices I gave up reloading shot shells. The smaller gauges may make sense, but in 12 or 20 gauge it is a waste of time. hammering

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reload for a number of reasons. I shoot a lot of skeet. I use the Remington STS 20 ga rounds. I use the 20 ga in the 12 ga and 20 ga events. I can reload them for about $2.50 and they cost around $4.50 +/-. You can buy low end ammo for $3.75 or so and sometimes on sale for $3.35. I can crank about 25 boxes an hour so the savings for the ammo I want to shoot is close to $50 an hour savings. That does not strike me as a waste of time. I can save almost $5 a box on 28 and 410 ammo. I also actually like to reload. I have gone thru 20,000 primers in the last 18 months so I better enjoy it. Smiler

Conversely, I buy hunting ammo and do not reload it. I don't use enough of it to make a big impact on my wallet and I do not want to readjust the loader for that small amount.

BTW, I do the same as AZ Pete, I use a shallow baking pan, probably a cookie sheet and it has about a 1/4 inch lip around it. I mount it so the front edge sticks out beyond the bench by about an inch. I drill a hole on one corner and put a cork in it. When I want to clean the debris out, I use a small brush and put a garbage can under the hole.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have heard of the square peg and round hole problem.... I think what you have is a square hole over a round hole.

The adj. bars make a square hole as the block is moved in and out. The opening over the drop tube on the 600 is round... thus you have corners in which a piece a shot or two can lay and not fall with the rest. You may try to bevel the area over the drop tube so everything will fall. And you may try to fill in the corners on bar the not moving side with some epoxy or tape so the shot can't lay over a flat spot.

good luck

"aim small, miss small" Benjamin Martin

Posts: 90 | Location: EastTN | Registered: 21 November 2003Reply With Quote