Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Mini Grand single Stage
 Login/Join

posted
I've never reloaded before but was interested in getting into it. I want to mostly load 3" and 3.5" waterfowl loads with steel and probably bismuth as well.

This seems to be the only reloader that does all three 12ga shell sizes and it's pretty cheap compaired to many of the others.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=443293

What are your thoughts and opinions on this press and are there any others that would do all three shell sizes (but mostly concerned with 3" and 3.5").

posted Hide Post
Also other than the press and the shotshell components are there any other items I'd need to buy? I'm not intested in speed really...I just want to make my own shells and if I one day start saving some money in the process...great.

Before I do anything I'm planning on getting the new Lyman book that someone suggested in another thread.

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Marcstar,

It looks like good pick, but I would go someplace that has one sitting in the showroom so you can get a good look at it... sometimes they look better in the picture than in real life.

I have never used one. Mine is a MEC 600 jr. While it is limited regarding different sie shells, it fits my needs and has withstood the test of time. I bought it used for around $50. You just can't beat that.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good advice about looking at one in person but the only problem is even if I saw one up close I wouldnt know a good one from a bad one at this point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Mini Grand last month and have yet to dive into the reloading spectrum. I am soon going to buy the Taper Die ($12.00) and the steel shot converion ($12.00) for all scenarios I may run into.

Non-tox shot weight should be double checked to be sure you are using the right load. Hevi-shot should always be weighed because of shot size inconsistancy and shape.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well I ordered a new Mini Grand yesterday...that and a bunch of other stuff (not even sure I needed some of it....but what the hell). I guess I'm going to jump right in. I have two friends that reload shotshells so I'm going to try to get with one of them before I start loading my own.