THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTSHELL RELOADING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody have issues with AA hulls and crimps?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have no issues with unique and Federal GM, or Remington STS. But AA's and unique, with WAA12 hull with 1 1/8oz, I can't seem to get a good crimp. Always a small hole. Not big enough for shot to roll out. I have adjusted all I can, with no change.

I assume the big issue with with bulky unique powder.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to use Unique with 1-3/8 oz until I shot some patterns (not good), but never tried it with 1-1/8 oz. Unique doesn't meter well and there are a lot of better powders for light loads. But, have you tried a deeper wad or a bunch more seating pressure?
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What loader are you using? My MEC manual has pictures of crimping problems and how to solve them with a simple adjustment. Not with my right now, But IIRC, you need to play with the cam allen screw and roll the cam one way or the other...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
What loader are you using? My MEC manual has pictures of crimping problems and how to solve them with a simple adjustment. Not with my right now, But IIRC, you need to play with the cam allen screw and roll the cam one way or the other...

I have a MEC 600 pre 84. Its very old. And very beat up. But I have made every adjustment they offer. Even called them a few times.

Like I said, I don't ahve issues with WSF, and AA hulls, but do with unique.

I just have over 5lbs of unique.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Unique less dense than WSF? (takes up more volume?)

Try a shorter wad

one of us
posted Hide Post
unique is less dense, but very bulky. One is flake, the ther is not.

But I agree, it appears the WAA12 isn't big enough. Thinking of trying WAA112F114.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your're using the AA/HS hulls try the Downrange DRA12 wads. They take up far less room in the HS hulls than all the other wads I've tried. Greg

"These are the times that try mens souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine winter of 1776

Posts: 115 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Figured it out. My cam bolt is slipping. I went back and saw it was all the way clockwise after 5 loads. I put a rather hefty lock washer and cranked it. It seems to hold now.

This freakin "deal" for a 20+ year old press is turning out to be no deal. So far, I have had to replace the old charge bar, because the old ones sheer shot. I have had to buy new bottles. New fingers that you put the wad in with. Had to buy a powder baffle. And its just pitted rusty mess. For 60 more dollars, I could have had a brand new one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im no expert, but we reload shotgun shells like fools, lots of shooters, when they get there we watch ebay, I know, I know, pretty soon one comes up for $15.00. We dont even save parts anymore.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like you, I bought a used Mec Jr 5 or 6 years ago on E-bay. By the time I replaced the drop tube, crimp starter, primer seater (I think it fell out of a hole in the box it was packed in) & wad fingers, I probably had about the price of a new press invested. Mec is pretty good about helping with parts & repair advice, though, & I think the old ones are more solid than the newer models. I later bought a new sizemaster for another gauge, & it seems a little less stout - more plastic & less cast iron.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote