New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 gauge 7/8 oz recipes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven't shot a 12 gauge much for the last 15 years, although I own several of them. Since about all I shoot these days is doves, I much prefer a 28 gauge.

However, I picked up a nice, light Beretta O/U in 12 gauge a few weeks ago and would like to try it on doves this fall using 7/8 oz of shot. It's been so long since I reloaded 12's that most of my data books don't even mention a 7/8 oz load, although I understand that 7/8 oz loads are fairly popular these days.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a SIMPLE 7/8 oz load in WW CF hulls that uses a single, one-piece wad and one of the more readily available powders? Needs to be in a WW CF hull since that's about all I've got.

THANKS!

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
there is a lot of 7/8oz data..
is your ww hulls aa,universal,??
do you have any other choices for hulls??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nearly all of my 12 ga hulls are fifteen or twenty year-old WW AA red hulls. I've got scads of them which is why I prefer a recommendation for that particular hull.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

One of my favorite 7/8 oz loads is: Win AA (original), 18 to 18.5 gr of 700X, with Ballistic Products "Lightning L078" wad.

Same can also use 17.5 to 18 gr od Red Dot.

Like you I have lots of 700X and original AA's on hand.

If you are looking for more info contact Ballistics Products directly.

Hope this helps.

Don

Life Member SCI &, NRA

Posts: 161 | Location: Reno NV and Betty's Bay RSA | Registered: 13 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NV: Thanks for the info!

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Although I don't shoot competitive Skeet anymore, I still shoot 4 or 5 rounds of Skeet every week, just for fun.

I only reload old style Win AA shells, and my favorite 12 ga load is 7/8 oz of 8 1/2 shot (that I make) with 17.0 gr of Hodgdon Clays powder and the Claybuster CB4100 (Lightning) wad. The loading data provided in every bag of Claybuster wads list a range of 17.0-19.6 gr of Clays powder for AA hulls with 7/8 oz of shot and the CB 4100 wad. They list 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads for Winchester, Remington and Federal hulls for a variety of powders and this wad..

I use Clays powder because it is very clean burning. I also use this 7/8 oz load for 16 yd Trap, and for my first shot in Doubles Trap.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I shoot skeet every weekend and the lightning wad is great for the old Winchester AA. The load data is enclosed in every bag. I don't recall it right now. I shoot Hodgdon International and is very clean burning. Win 209 primers. The crimp is great with the Claybuster wads nad like the previous post, you can load one ounce loads too.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
The older CFAA and the newer AAHS hull use the same data. So anything you find on whe web sites can be used. Look at the components you have available to you in your area then check the powder manufacturers web sites and Lyman's 5th. This should give you plenty of recipies to work from. I prefer the Win AA12L clones; Clear Duster, CB 0178 with 17.4g of Clay Dot. But see what works with the component choices you can obtain rather than the other way around.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
17.0 grains of clays, AA-SL wad or claybuster equivalent, and hard 8's works great for skeet, 16 yard trap, and doves. Any 209 primer will work, but I usually use CCI or Winchesters. This recipe works good in STS or old remington peters hulls as well. I've shot thousands of these, and they work great!
E dawg

Posts: 15 | Location: Fort Collins, CO | Registered: 05 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load alot of my 12 gauge with alliants american select, for a light feild load or a sporting clays load.
Hulls, BPI has a great selection and i have used them, I have had sucess with claybuster wads also , I normally load 1 oz but 7/8 loads there is plenty of data on the alliant website. I will check the data and get back to you
Matt

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may find any number of recipes that report the right pressure. The main issue is finding a powder and wad combination that stacks up just right to give a good crimp with the hull of your choice. Some times it is better to pick all of the components (including the case) just to make them work right. I used to place a paper overshot wad under the shot load to make it crimp right when I was on a 1 oz kick. Then I switched to a post wad for skeet and quit the wad.
It was really cool to work for a company with a Strippet 30/30 punch press. I could make as many wads as I needed out of any material as fast as I could press the foot pedal.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Use the online loading database at alliant or the other powder websites. Allows you to select your hull, powder and gives you good data on wads and primers - then you know you are making a safe load. Lots of options on 7/8 loads.

Posts: 14 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote