Notify
Tools

Slugs in my "Modern Paradox" results.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted
Hello,

I have a Baikal IZH 43 2 3/4" 12ga 20" barrels screw in chokes.
I added Colonial extended rifled choke tubes.
A 1/4 Rib and front sight base, Dakota express sights and Marbles green bead.

I have had good accuracy with Federal Premium copper plated sabot slugs, but at $15 a box of 5 I wanted to roll my own.

I rolled some BPI Nontox Green, RSS Sabots, Shuttle Cocks, DGS, DGS Thunderbolts and LBC's.

The best results were the DGS Thunderbolts and the shuttlecocks.

Second best were the LBC's and DGS.

All targets at 25 yds from lead sled, open sights. Dot is 1" diameter.

Next step more loads and Chrony, then bump the powder.
Pretty good minute of deer and pig accuracy, just fine for the shotgun woods of my home state.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nitro: That's a nicely regulated Baikal. Keep up the good work and report again soon. Very tempting project.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now this is information I can use. Smiler
I go down to Florida to hunt with my brother in the swamps. Range is close and you dont dare take a nice rifle in there, you would just ruin it.
I've been thinking of a Stoeger Double Defence with an Aim Point on it, but this would be better.

Great job, cant wait to hear more.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up Lefteris Vassiliadis, he is one of our members and owns: www.europeancartridgeunlimited.com they make an all brass slug that is just the most deadly thing in the world. It comes in 570, 700, and 970 grains. You would want the 570 in your 23/4 inch shells.
The Greeks can only hunt with smooth barrel shotguns by law. So they have been working very hard at making them as accurate and deadly as possible.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the slugs you show are soft lead or sabot type which do not over tighten choke tubes during firing.

If you choose a full bore hard cast, heat treated slug, the rifled choke tube will be over torqued to the point of needing a gunsmith or lathe to remove it.

Full bore slugs work best in fully rifled barrels or at least straight cylinder bores in some cases. Type Dixie Slugs into your search engine for more information on full bore high penetration rounds for today's 12 gauge rifle.

Posts: 106 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 10 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
RMc

I have been shooting Hard cast full bore slugs with no problem.
They are cast from WW and quenched in water.
They are made from a mold that is almost identical to James's mold from Dixie.
I have not seen any issues beyond leading with these slugs.

Maybe the velocity is what keeps things OK.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote