Find
Notify
Tools

20 gauge 1 oz loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of msheik
posted
I'm looking for a 20 gauge load. I'd like to get 1250 from a 1 oz load using AA hulls and whatever wads will work. I've seen some data that says that HS-6 might be the best powder to try for this. I've also considered longshot but, I have heard that longshot is very dirty? I've never used either of these powders and am curious to know what others experiences have been with this. I have also heard that HS-6 will not be available shortly?? Anyone else heard this?

Thanks in advance for the help

Posts: 39 | Location: Edmond, Oklahoma | Registered: 06 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For years I have used 17 grs of herco and rem power piston wads and federal cases. i shot thousands of these for grouse ect.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite 1oz load for the 20 used Winchester 571 in an AA case with a Winchester wad. The load was right out of the WW load book. I believe velocity was supposed to be 1250-1300 or so. Loaded with lead #6 shot it would kill ducks. It would also give you a pretty good head ache in a light double!
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, HS-6, also known as WW 540, will give you around 1250 fps with a 1-ouncer in WWAA hulls (at least in the old ones -- don't know about the new "HS" hulls.) I can't recall the exact charge, but if you'll look up some old WW data for WW 540 you will find some loads with WWAA20F (yellow) wads that do what you're looking for. I also used to use WW 571 (Hodgdon HS-7) for these loads, but neither powder has been around for a while.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote