New
Find
Notify
Tools

10 Gauge reloading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased a 10 gauge sp-10 shotgun . I have experience loading rifle and pistol, but have never reloading for shotgun. I just purchased the RCBS reloading manual, but I have a question regarding what press I should get.

My loading will be low volume, so I'm looking at the single stage presses, but they all say they will handle the 3" shells.

Which press should I get if I want to reload 3 1/2" shells?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckboat I have loaded the 10 ga and others for 40 + years. For pumps and Autoloaders the best press for my money is the Ponsness & Warren model 375. The case is contanted in the die throught the entire loading process so the soft plastic cases don't bulge and jam in autoloaders. Watch on E-bay etc and you can often pick up a press for cheap. Often they come with 12 ga dies but if you get it at the right price buy a new set of dies in 10 ga and a new tool head and you are set.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other choice is the Mec Steelmaster, thats what I load my 10 gauge on, can also change over and load 12 gauge 3 1/2, 3" and 2 3/4.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the MEC Sizemaster since it came out for my 10's, not that expensive and works great. A few things to watch if you are doing steel: don't trust the charge bars, weigh the shot, and if you are using flake powder like Blue Dot or Steel, weigh each charge. If you do so you will get much more consistent results.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.