New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 ga sabot slug loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody reload any saboted slug loads? Looking for information regarding components and recipes.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've been doing it for a while, here is a link to a previous post:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=se...Type=1&search=Search

Here is what I posted:

"I've shot only reloaded slugs for the past 8 or so years. Talk about finicky rounds to load! I started first with the lee slug mould in 7/8 oz, right now I am using the BPI Dangerous Game Slugs.

THIS IS THE LOAD I USE FOR MY BOLT ACTION SHOTGUN, PLEASE DON'T USE IT IN ANYTHING OF YOURS BUT WORK YOUR OWN UP. I'M JUST PUTTING IT IN TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA.

I use a roll crimp. My first one was a hand roll crimper I bought and then I got one from BPI. I also use a plastic gas seal under the slug. I take a DG slug and pull it off the attached wad and sand it down on a belt sander until it is exactly 410 grains, then stick it back on the wad. I just flatten the tip of it. With care you can do it by hand, make sure it is square or else make a wooden jig to do it. I use 33 grains of unique. I don't have my notebook here so I can't remember exactly what the velocity is, maybe 1660 fps?

If all of your shots are under 75 yards you'll probably be happy with Lee slugs and a star crimp, but take a center punch and put a dimple in the center of the slug as they have not performed well for me in their unaltered state.

The best experts on this subject seem to be the people at Ballistic Products, look them up online and request a catalog from them."

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I believe you said "If all of your shots are under 75 yards you'll probably be happy with Lee slugs and a star crimp, but take a center punch and put a dimple in the center of the slug as they have not performed well for me in their unaltered state."

Please tell me some more about the dimple. What size? How does it help performance?

Thanks,
Roger D.

Posts: 7 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I have had issues with deer not dropping as fast as what I would hope, and the slugs have not really mushroomed for me. I have only lost 1 deer that I hit with them, but one is enough, and a few others that I had to track for a couple hundred yards.

What I ended up with after a bit of experimenting was a diamond shaped punch. First I would punch the exact center with a nail set punch, I can't remember how deep and don't have my notes for that here, but it was about 1/8" and then I would follow that with a diamond punch that I made. The slug now will fragment and retains the same accuracy. I shot 2 deer with these and I think they work better than standard slugs. Both deer dropped on the spot but I changed the next season anyway.

As I posted, I now use BPI dangerous game slugs and like them better.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Thanks again for the quick response. My main interest in the Lee slugs is "cheap". I'll be using them for varmint and plinking. Thus far, the accuracy hasn't been all that great. I may end up trying paper patching on the Lee slug. I'm also experimenting the the BPI sabot version of the DG slug. And,... the SPW slug/sabot combo (same as Hastings loaded ammo). Again... thanks

Posts: 7 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Roger,

First off, welcome to the forums! Sorry I forgot to say that in my previous post.

Are you star crimping? I use a roll crimper and it tightens groups up a small amount. Please let us know how the paper patching works out for you, I was thinking about that too for a while but then chucked it and went with the DGR slugs. I have also considered chucking the mould blocks in a lathe and cutting some driving bands in the mould itself.

At any rate, just remember this is all supposed to be for fun!

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Some years ago I started loading some Lee 1 oz. slugs. I used quenced wheel weights and the slugs come out of the mold at .6835-.684 and weight about 435 grains. Tried two of the wads recommended with not good accuracy. For now I use this slug in a Ballistic Products Helix-Cushion Driver 24 wad with a 20 gauge .125 thick card wad under the slug, so that the top of the slug is slightly above the wad's mouth. After loading in the hull a clear overshoot disc (COS12) is put on the slug and roll crimped. Accuracy is very good from the smoothbore barrels I use. From my point of view it is a very good slug for practice and small to medium game hunting.
Lefteris.

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerDailey:
Mark,
Thanks again for the quick response. My main interest in the Lee slugs is "cheap". I'll be using them for varmint and plinking. Thus far, the accuracy hasn't been all that great. I may end up trying paper patching on the Lee slug. I'm also experimenting the the BPI sabot version of the DG slug. And,... the SPW slug/sabot combo (same as Hastings loaded ammo). Again... thanks

I certainly wish I could find reloading components (Sabots & Slugs) for my 20 gauge Browning Gold. I feel good loads could be developed for a particular rifled barreled shotgun. At this time Remington "Buckhammers" or Lightfield Hybrids seem to be accurate in my Browning. WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Roger Smiler

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I'm trying to get a working load using a star crimp. I do have a roll crimping tool, but it doesn't work well on the the once fired, old style Winchester AA cases.

I'll report on the paper patching results. I'm not looking at anything exotic. Most likely a few wraps of masking tape. That has worked well for me in muzzleloaders.

My best handload has been 38.0/Blue Dot, Federal Gold Medal paper cases, SPW wad & slug combination, roll crimped to hold the wad snug against the powder. However, the price of these are almost the same as Hastings factory loads and the accuracy is about the same.

posted Hide Post
DRS,
I believe Lyman sells a 20 gage slug mold that uses standard shotcup wads for sabots. Another option might be to use muzzleloader 58 caliber minie ball (.575-.578 diameter) and standard shotcup wads for sabots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DRS,
I believe Lyman sells a 20 gage slug mold that uses standard shotcup wads for sabots. Another option might be to use muzzleloader 58 caliber minie ball (.575-.578 diameter) and standard shotcup wads for sabots.

Thanks for the Info. Roger! The .58 minie balls sound interesting, and I guess the minies would expand to engage the rifling since the 20 gauge is around .615".

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
DRS,
Ballistic Products Lists several options for 20 gage. In their paper catalog; they list collet cup and bullet sabots (very much like muzzleloader sabots). The collet cups don't show on their online catalog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DRS,
Ballistic Products Lists several options for 20 gage. In their paper catalog; they list collet cup and bullet sabots (very much like muzzleloader sabots). The collet cups don't show on their online catalog.

Thanks, Roger!! I booked marked that site to glance at it later. I knew there were some manufatures of sabot 20 gauge slugs out there!! <THANKS AGAIN> clap BTW....I am currently taking a beating over at www.hoosierhunting.com regarding my posts on the legalization of pistol cartridges in rifles for Deer here in Indiana. Could really use some support, from some friends, that I seem not to have on that Hoosier Hunting" Site. <Thanks Again>

David

posted Hide Post
DRS,
Yup, that's a fugly discussion going on over there. Its gone past "logic and sense"; down to name calling and "just cause!".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DRS,
Yup, that's a fugly discussion going on over there. Its gone past "logic and sense"; down to name calling and "just cause!".

It's pretty bad isn't it, Roger. I am glad such thing aren't being "raked over" here on this excellent forum. The members here seem more intelligent than those on "Hoosier Hunting" forum. <Thanks again for the link on Slugs!>

David

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Checked out the thread and all I can say is Wow.

What needs to happen is some firearm manufacturers come up with some midwest-specific deer cartridges and then lobby states to legislate them in, along with some sort of carbine style claimed to be engineered for the midwest. Presto a new built-in market share for both guns and ammo.

Don't think they'll sell that many to the hoosier forum though! Smiler

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

I just returned from that Hoosier hunting Forum and read another insulting post toward me. I am sorry you had to see that particular thread. those members over there have disagreed with almost everything I ever posted along with this pistol/rifle thread. I feel like I don't have a friend in the world after reading those posts toward me. the President of the "Indiana Deer Hunters Association" and a few other have been particularly spiteful and rude toward me. I don't know what state you live in, but you can see how uncooperative Hoosier Deer Hunters are toward each other, it really bad.

David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DRS; I reside in Indiana (but am not from Indiana) and I agree, Hoosiers have an attitude. I have hunted in several states over the years and have found the few unlawful hunters make it hard on the lawful. Fortunately I hunt on Public Land and was lucky enough to find a landowner that lets us park on their property in a area that has not parking but you still run into rude people who ignore common courtesey. Just keep in mind, Indiana does not have a corner on rude people, their everywhere.
Personally, I would like to hunt with an Encore pistol in a rifle caliber just to avoid the extremely high prices of shotgun sabot loads. But, who knows what the future holds here in Indiana????????????????????????

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote