New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 ga. field loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I load alot of trap loads but would like to load some field loads to hunt birds (pheasants). I have some #5 shot and Solo 1000 powder, AA hulls, AA12R wads, FIO616 primers. I think I want to load 1.25 oz. of shot. I am not sure how much powder to load under this shot charge with the solo 1000. Should I load to a certain speed, i.e. 1350 ft/sec.? What about pressure, I guess I am concerned about over max. loads. I loaded from 19.5 to 23 gr. in 0.5 gr. incraments and will shoot thru a chrono. watch speed and for pressure. What speed should I load too?

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnny, I do not load 12 ga but if you are loading for duck hunting, it has to be non toxic shot and not lead.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Solo 1000 might be a little fast burning for heavier 1 1/4 ounce. I looked in the most recent editions of the Lyman manual and Reloading for Shotgunners and neither has any 1 1/4 ounce loads using that powder. There is only one 1 1/8 ounce load using Solo 1000 in the AA hull and the pressure is getting on up there before velocity hits 1200 fps. That is with 19 grains using a WAA12 wad and Win 209 primer. I think you will want to choose a different powder.

SH

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
from scot reloading manual. 12 ga, 2 3/4" win. plastic AA-type shells, 1 1/8 oz shot., 1200fps,flo616 primer, AA12 wad (NOT AA12R), 19.0 gr. solo 1000, Approx. Pressure L.U.P. 10200 The AA12R wad is for a heaver shot load, i feel your wont get a good crimp. And you load will be to hot/high pressure.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JohnnyB, I think you'll have to make one or two component changes.

The first change would be to a different powder. Solo 1000 is not suitable for 1 1/4 oz. loads in 12 ga. ..... period!

Secondly..... the AA12R wad is designed for heavier 1 3/8 - 1 1/2 oz. loads in the WAA12 with 2 3/4" hulls. The WAA12F114 would be the wad of choice in the hulls you are using.

So my recommendation is to get a pound of Alliant Unique and a 250 bag of WAA12F114 wads.

This will give you 1 1/4 oz loads that you can dial from 1,135-1,220 fps. (2 7/8 - 3 1/4 dram equiv.)

And you can use the Unique powder with your AA12 wads in fast 1 1/8 oz loads.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I kind of knew that Solo 1000 was too fast from the data I had but wanted to see if I could make it work out. But I should just get a slower powder and the Unique looks like a good powder to use. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the load I have been using for years:

WW AA hull, Win209 Primer, 28.5 grs Herco, Remington R-P 12 wad, 1 1/4oz #5

used to use this load on decoying canadas.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I agree Herco is also an excellent powder for 1 1/4 oz. loads in the AA hull. It is probably a better choice than Unique if you want to drive 1 1/4 oz loads at velocities over 1,250 fps (3 1/2 dram.equiv.)

Unique is beter if you're looking for a 3 1/4 dram 1,220 fps load and also want to use it in higher velocity 1 1/8 oz loads.

Personally, I like the WAA12F114 wads because they're easier to find locally and there seems to be more published data on them.

It's also fairly easy to find data using the WAA12F114 in loads using the Fio. 616 primers that JohnnyB already has on hand and uses with his standard target loads.

Here are some 1 1/4oz. loads using Fio. 616 primers in the W12AA hulls with WAA12F114 wads and Alliant Herco that I've seen published in "Reloading for Shotgunners 4th Ed. Fackler/McPherson"

25.1/1220 25.3/1240 25.6/1255 26.0/1275

max. pressure 10,100 psi

-------------------------------------------

Using Alliant Unique and 1 1/4 oz shot with the above components.......

*21.5/1135 *22.0/1150 23.0/1220 @ 10,300 psi

*my estimated velocity

-------------------------------------------

I have found that the lower velocity loads pattern the best (especially with softer shot) and they don't give up very much knockdown power.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went out and purchased the Lyman Reloading Handbook for Shotshells. In it, it states the Winchester Hull as Compression Formed Plastic Cases Fold Crimp. Is this the WAA? It as has Win. cases as Polyformed Plastic Cases High Paper Basewad, Fold Crimp and another case as Polyformed Plastic Cases Platic Basewad, Fold Crimp. What are these cases? Which one is the Win. AA?

I also load Remington Premier STS cases. They are my favorite case to load as they run through my loader smoother. This book has Rem. cases as, Unibody SP Plastic Cases Fold Crimp and RTL (Premier) Plastic Cases Fold Crimp. Are one of these two the Rem. Premier STS case? What I really want to know is what Lyman Hull title is the same as the Win AA and Rem STS hull?

I also purchased some Herco and Unique powder and WAA12F114 wads and I have the WAA12R wads. So I have mamy loades to try. But just not positive as to what hull is what in this book.

One of Us
Picture of Snipe Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went out and purchased the Lyman Reloading Handbook for Shotshells. In it, it states the Winchester Hull as Compression Formed Plastic Cases Fold Crimp. Is this the WAA?

The Winchester compression-formed hull is the old style (pre AAHS hull) AA, Super-X, and Upland hull. The polyformed hull was used for the inexpensive promotional loads labeled Dove & Quail, Rabbit & Squirrel, and Duck & Pheasant.

I will defer to someone else on the Remington hulls since all I ever used were the old Peters Blue Magic. I think you will be pleased with the two Alliant powders you bought and the winchester wads.

------------------------------------
I admit there are advantages in game of every type;
But I've never heard of beast or bird to excel the twisting snipe.
Nicholas Kane, Louisiana, 1880

Got Snipe?

Posts: 83 | Location: Out in some godforsaken marsh | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JohnnyB, I think the Lyman manual (4th Ed.?) came out before the Remington Premier STS.

I would suggest going to the Alliant Powder Guide. It has data for both the AA and the RTS hulls using the powder and wads you already have.

If you are willing to use a different primer, the Rem. 209P looks like a better choice for RTS hulls and your powder/wad combination

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all and Thanks DaMan for the Alliant web site. It had all the data I needed to make a good decision on a load. It was clearer than the Lyman reloading book so I took the book back and got the Rem. 209P primers and some Rem SP12 wads, as that combination looks good in the Rem STS hulls. I find that the Rem. STS hulls slide through my loader better than the newer AA hulls for some reason. I think Win. changed their hulls a few years ago and they were terrible to load. This year they seem improved, but not as good as the Remingtons. Thanks again guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyB:

I think Win. changed their hulls a few years ago and they were terrible to load. This year they seem improved, but not as good as the Remingtons.

Yes. Winchester changed their AA hulls a few years ago, so that today's AA hull is different from the AA hulls of the past. I agree with you that the present-day Remington hulls are better than the present-day Winchester ones.

On another note: Hodgdon's shotshell loading data is especially good because they list more different hull, wad, primer, powder, shot weight possibilities than any other loading manual with which I am familiar. Of course, they do give loads only for Hodgdon powders.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents:Win AA hull ,209 primer,35gr win 540,Hawk or Win Aa wad with 1 1/8 oz 4's,5's,6's or 7 1/2's = 1400 fps but with a WAA Red wad and 1 1/4 oz lead shot 1330fps.Used those loads for money shoots and upland game birds got the info from some duck hunters who harvested a lot of ducks and geese when lead was legal.Two of us were going thru a 12 pound keg of Win 540 every couple of months shooting Sat,Sun & Wed nite.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If you want some fast hard hitting 1.25 oz loads, give Hodgdon Longshots a try. Long Shots, the waa12f114 wads, win 209s, and AA hulls make some stout and safe loads.

Jims Herco load is good too. I use the RedAA wads and Herco for my 1.25oz squirrel loads in AA hulls.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
That's the load I use for #5's (i.e., first shot on pheasants and Sage Grouse). Patterns beautifully. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote