Vincent Black Lightning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
As I recollect that had a lever on the handlebars for lifting the valves in order to start them.
Peter.

They are called "decompression" levers, and a lot of engines used to be fitted with them.
The purpose is to lower the compression ratio for easier starting.
I still have one on my 69 Greeves 2 stroke, and have hand started many a John Deere tractor that used a similar decompression system for starting (petcocks on each cylinder)

Lots of big singles had decompression levers. Even my old 2 banger 73 650 Yamaha had one.

Posts: 15865 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve

I met you a few years back at the Dallas Safari Club Show in Dallas. I had one of my brothers with me. We were traveling from west to east.

I did not know you had moved to Portugal? I wish the very best for you and your family.

I also did not know you were an old biker. I went through a few vintage bikes in my youth. I had a few British bikes too. A Triumph Bonneville. A Triumph T-110. An AJS 500 cc single cylinder. It had a compression release similar to the Black Lightning. One of my biker friends had a Royal Enfield. Remember them?

Speaking of the Ariel motorcycles. I grew up in Olney, Texas and met Leland Snow when he came to Olney fresh out of college. All he owned was the clothes on his back and an Ariel Square Four. Later he founded Snow Areonautical and Snow Air Tractor and became wealthy. I watched Snow one day on his Ariel chasing Jack Rabbits off the airport runway preparing for take off of one of his prototype crop dusting planes.

Craftsman

Posts: 1530 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 98 Fat Boy with a Merch 138cid engine in it. It had compression release buttons on both cylinders so the starter could turn it over fast enough to start it.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
Steve

I met you a few years back at the Dallas Safari Club Show in Dallas. I had one of my brothers with me. We were traveling from west to east.

I did not know you had moved to Portugal? I wish the very best for you and your family.

I also did not know you were an old biker. I went through a few vintage bikes in my youth. I had a few British bikes too. A Triumph Bonneville. A Triumph T-110. An AJS 500 cc single cylinder. It had a compression release similar to the Black Lightning. One of my biker friends had a Royal Enfield. Remember them?

Speaking of the Ariel motorcycles. I grew up in Olney, Texas and met Leland Snow when he came to Olney fresh out of college. All he owned was the clothes on his back and an Ariel Square Four. Later he founded Snow Areonautical and Snow Air Tractor and became wealthy. I watched Snow one day on his Ariel chasing Jack Rabbits off the airport runway preparing for take off of one of his prototype crop dusting planes.

Hi Brother. I remember you and greet you well. Smiler

We moved to Portugal in September 2011 so almost a year now. Quite like it here & at least no-one shoots at us but we both miss Africa & our friends & brothers there.

I got my first bike when I was 12 years old, which was a Royal Enfield Constellation and I had to rebuild it from a box of bits & sold my last one about 2 years ago.... so over 40 years of biking...... and I'm not sure it's over yet because I'm regularly tempted to buy another one.... the problem is I now have arthritis in my hands and 20 minutes riding now means 48 hours of pain! Frowner

I've always been a big fan of the Enfields and would love to see the factory in India who make the 350 & 500 singles re-introduce the 700 Constellation again.

The old Squariels were also superb machines and I'd love to own one...... although there may well be an overheating problem with them here..... maybe not all year but in the summer at least.

Anyway, I'll raise a glass to absent friends at 2100 hours tonight & hope that you'll do likewise! beer

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - I've got the same problem with my hands. Still ride the Harley, though. My doctor prescribed Diclofenac Sodium as a pill and topical liquid. Works a treat.

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poprivit:
Steve - I've got the same problem with my hands. Still ride the Harley, though. My doctor prescribed Diclofenac Sodium as a pill and topical liquid. Works a treat.

I've never heard of that one but will ask my doc about it. Thanks for the tip! tu2

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ah..... Just spoken to 'Da Management' & she tells me it's Voltarol over here..... in which case, I've tried it & although it makes a bit of a difference, it doesn't make much of one for me.......... That's a right bugger! Confused